OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Scan, calibrate and import a Rooftop Map for use in Hema/Memory Map software

Thanks
    Thanked 6,923 Times in 2,753 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much Drew, just finished scanning and uploading a heap of Rooftop maps to my tablet. Awesome write up would have been very lost without it. First map took about 2 hours of friggin round, the rest were heaps quicker.

A few things I encountered were, firstly Officeworks would not scan due to copyright, so ended up using Snap Printing who happy to do them. Also noticed it was doing random things with the waypoints - it kept changing when it saved one. Worked out that I was missing a number at the end so Eastings and Northings had to be 7 digits long Eg. 55S 5320000E 5911000N. It seems weird that Memory Map uses UTM zone 55S instead of 55H which all other maps use for that region. That would have taken me for ever to work out if ever, sure that would have driven you very crazy Drew, but thanks it has saved a lot of time. Also found loading was very easy being Android, just had to copy and paste the files straight into the Memory Map folder on the tablet which works fine.

Have tested a couple in the bush and they work very well, its so good having quality Rooftops maps with reliable track and other info and knowing where you are. Still good to have the paper maps too tho.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Rosco, it's weird how some places will scan them no problems and yet others get their knickers in a twist about copyright. The officeworks near me do it no probs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to say great thread Drew. I am new to the memory maps and only found it because I wanted to see if I could scan some maps and use them on my tablet GPS.

Has anyone done this with an Android?
    I am using a Samsung tablet and pc using the trial version.
    I have followed your steps on the PC Drew(Legend) but having issue putting it onto my phone.
    I have calibrated it and put the route border around it but for some reason when I put the files on my phone in the folder the map wont show up in the " more maps" tab. if I go into the folder and click the .qct file it shows up but wont track with the GPS
    I think I have followed all Drews steps?

In the folder I have .mmo, .gpx, .qct.txt, .qct, .jpr, .tif files

The MMo and GPX are only small files and exported them through the PC.

Cheers

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cjb View Post
    Have to say great thread Drew. I am new to the memory maps and only found it because I wanted to see if I could scan some maps and use them on my tablet GPS.

I have followed your steps on the PC Drew(Legend) but having issue putting it onto my phone.
    I have calibrated it and put the route border around it but for some reason when I put the files on my phone in the folder the map wont show up in the " more maps" tab. if I go into the folder and click the .qct file it shows up but wont track with the GPS

Cheers

Cheers
    Hey mate, Rossco has them on his Android tablet with no dramas so hopefully he might be able to help you.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers

Cheers
    Hi mate Yeah i have scanned maps on my samsung tablet with mm . When you say phone are you putting them on both tablet & phone or just tablet? Not sure how many devices you can have with a licence. Did they calibrate correctly, it did take me a bit of stuffing around to get it right, was missing a digit out of the eastings & northings and it was doing funny stuff. Does it show the correcet location of the cursor reative to the map in the bottom toolbar when you move the mouse on the pc? On the tablet once you press "all maps on device" then "map types" is the "tiff" box checked? Good luck these things can be bloody frustrating (for me anyway!!)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rossco

I got it working with the calibration e,n are right i just cant get the first three digits to change.
    I enter 50K and it reverts to 50N which puts the map perfectly above where i want. Except its just off the north east coast of Malaysia.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh. . . Yeah memory maps UTM zoneing is a litte weird for some reason. Where are you, or the maps you are putting on? The maps for most of Vic (eastern vic) are zone 55H but memory map works when set at 55S. Try getting up the hema base map on the pc then pointing the cursor in the vicinity of the maps and check what the UTM zone (first 2 numbers & letter) is, then use to calibrate. . . Hopefully that's works! !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check eastings & northings are 7 digits each. I was using 6 and it kept changing to something different when i saved point. Took a bit to work out & was very annoying! !

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rossco

Threw my hands in the air last night.
    I will have a crack tonight with your tip.

Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rossco

Threw my hands in the air last night.
    I will have a crack tonight with your tip.

Cheers
    Yeah fair enough, sometimes it's best to walk away from these things and come back with a fresh head. . . It can drive you very crazy!! Hopefully it works soon. . .

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast