OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Scan, calibrate and import a Rooftop Map for use in Hema/Memory Map software

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Well that assists my decision no end! Since when did purple hippos have their arses at the front?
    Riding the wave.. Lol

That is a weird one cuppa for sure. Are you able to run the program On the Mac, download your maps and import them to the pad??
    Seems weird the 2 Apple products are harder to use than the cp and pad..

I'd be contacting the app owners first and see if you have missed something??
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post

That is a weird one cuppa for sure. Are you able to run the program On the Mac, download your maps and import them to the pad??
    Seems weird the 2 Apple products are harder to use than the cp and pad..

I'd be contacting the app owners first and see if you have missed something??
    From the Memory Map web site http://memory-map.com.au/faqs/questi...+with+a+Mac%3F

Can I use this software with a Mac?
    Memory-Map is not designed to run on Mac operating systems but we have seen it running perfectly on a Mac running emulation/crossover software. It works the Mac way, like other Mac applications

The official line is that we do not support the Mac operating systems and you should test functionality with any emulation/crossover software and Memory-Map software using the free demo and test it to your satisfaction before you buy. Any ongoing support is only made available in a PC context.

However, we can say that we have heard from many happy Mac users who are very pleased with Memory-Map and are enjoying full functionality on their Mac X system. Most of them are using VMWare Fusion or Parallels to facilitate this.

Will Memory-Map ever develop it's software for a Mac? - maybe one day. We'd all like to see a Mac version but the harsh reality of return on investment means it's not a priority right now.

So if I were to run some emulation software on my Mac, like ‘Parallels’ or ‘VM Fusionware’ I could then purchase Windows, install it on my Mac & use it to run the software that Drew refers to.
    If I wanted to run Windows I would have bought a PC. Buying the emulation software, plus Windows, plus the calibration software could get a bit exxy even if I wanted to. Basically I am a bit less than impressed with Hema over this. I do like the iPad app, & you do get the full suite of Hema maps covering the whole country, including all their 4wd maps, but it is not made clear prior to purchase that if you have an Apple computer it is not straightforward to scan in other maps to use on your Apple iPad.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa, I'm inclined to agree that is pretty crap. I didnt even give the Mac situation a second thought because it didnt apply to me. It is curious too that they dont suppport Mac but supported iOS before Android.......weird.
    I've just gone into the iPad to play with the digital map shop and it is a bit confusing to sort out how it works. Again, it seems the best way is to use the free software to download the maps and then transfer to the device but that doesn't help those running Mac.
    I'll have to frig around with it some more.......

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so whilst it is not possible for Mac owners to scan & import maps without running emulation software & Windows on their machines, I have found that it is possible to import a limited number of maps into the Hema app , but whilst easy enough to do, the process is a little clunky. Mac owners need to purchase ‘packages’ rather than individual maps & those available can be seen here. NOTE however that folk who have purchased the Hema app you will already have the full suite of Hema’s Topo maps & 4wd maps. Basically that seems to just leave the street maps (US$18 per state) & the Westprint Outback Tracks map. As I said, pretty limited.

I had a bit of a look at the Westprint outback tracks map, but it didn’t seem to offer much, if anything over the Hema maps which came with the app. If anyone has ’spent time’ with both maps I would appreciate any comments as to whether you think there is any good reason to add the Westprint to the existing Hema maps (including their 4wd ones).

I did download & buy the Victorian Street maps & will likely get those for other states in due course.

Process for Mac Owners
    Register at Memory Map http://memory-map.com.au/memory-map-...anagement.html
    Download the map you want http://memory-map.com.au/digital-map...roid-ipad.html

From http://memory-map.com.au/map_downloa...0Downloads.pdf
    Mac users – Map Packs are zipped up and can be downloaded to the Mac, extracted and copied to your iPhone/iPad as below. You do not need to run the PC app.

Connect the iPhone/iPad to the PC and open iTunes. In iTunes, select your device on the left.
    At the top of the screen, select the Apps tab
    Scroll down the page and look for the File Sharing section
    Select the Memory‐Map app (or HEMA app) so it is highlighted.
    Select the Add button on the bottom right of that section
    Browse to the extracted Pack folder and select the map files. You cannot select folders, only files.
    Select Open, you should see the files copy to the Memory‐Map (or HEMA)Documents section and/or see the progress bar at the top of the screen indicating a large file is being copied.
    Repeat this till you have all the maps from the packaged folders copied over. Disconnect the iPhone/iPad from the PC and open the Memory‐Map app.
    To get the full listing of maps, select the Map List icon (bottom left), More Maps (top right), All Maps on Device.
    When you copy a map to the Apple device as described above, it is automatically put on Demo. (which lasts for 10 days)
    Once you have decided you want to buy the package return to http://memory-map.com.au/memory-map-...anagement.html , sign into your account, with credit card ready & click on ‘Buy Licences’.
    The packages you have copied onto your ipad will be listed & you can then pay for them.
    An email receipt for payment arrives a short time later.

Note. If you have copied more than one package to your iPad, but have decided that you don’t wish to buy them all, before following the above method of paying for what you want to keep, in iTunes with iPad connected to your Mac, select those that you don’t want to keep & delete them. That way you will only get the ‘invoice’ for what you want to keep.

For Mac owners with the Memory Map app on their iPad, the process is much the same, just read Memory Map i place of Hema. They are the same. Only reason I can see for choosing the Hema app over the Memory Map app is that it works out a bit cheaper to get the full Australia Hema map package. (Topo & 4WD).

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (29th December 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also the VicTopo maps which are based on government survey data at 1:25k so pretty detailed. I have that pack to compliment my Rooftops maps

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that this one Drew, or is 25k more detailed than this? This is one of the 4wd maps which came with the Hema app, but at this scale they only cover certain areas. Do the ones you are talking about cover the whole state?
    Attached Images Attached Images

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah mate, this is an example:
    ImageUploadedByMotorculture1384768629.747779.jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    Aha, that looks good. However at $100 per state (& WA, NT & SA not available) I think I’ll wait until I think I need them. For regular 4wd’ing in the areas covered I reckon they’d be a real boon. Actually to be honest I had expected to get maps like that when buying the Hema 4wd app, not to have to pay a considerable amount more than the original purchase to get them as add ons. The 3D view looks like it could be quite worthwhile. Can’t help feeling a bit irritated by the fact that as well as a cost of $400 on top of the cost of the app, that for that money a great deal of what you get is a duplicate of what came with the app.
    Like I said, I like the app, but the way the whole thing is marketed leaves a lot to be desired IMHO.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    I did wonder if the file type was an issue. In some instances Memory Map will only read certain types of Ozi Explorer files (the older ones) but you seem to have sorted it.
    Good job!
    Cheers,
    Drew.
    Drew, like Cuppa, I run a Mac and have an iPad that runs the Hema App. I also have all the 100K and 50K topos for Qld on CD from when I was running OziExplorer for quite a number of years at work, along with all my old track files from Ozi.

Are you thinking that it might be possible to import the Ozi calibrated topos onto the Hema App via iTunes? Would be bloody great if I can do that.

How about the old track files? I can't remember what format they are in (whatever Ozi uses), but there is a gold mine of old info there I would love to load back onto the iPad and Hema if it was possible.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben,
    There is a complication with your combination of Mac and iPad as Cuppa found in that the software you need to use to calibrate your maps into the format Hema (MemoryMap) uses is only available for PC. If you can work around this then yes, you should be able to import your maps.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (31st December 2013)

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast