OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Scan, calibrate and import a Rooftop Map for use in Hema/Memory Map software

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY: Scan, calibrate and import a Rooftop Map for use in Hema/Memory Map software

Hi All,
    After plenty of buggering around, I've managed to sort out how to scan and import my Rooftop's paper maps into the Memory Map application and Hema Navigator on my iPad. So for all of you folks using those applications and who have never tried importing your own map, here comes my step by step guide on how to do it.
    There is precious little information on how to do this out there on the interwebs so hopefully it can save someone else the aggro it has caused me because there are some tricks to it that aren't documented anywhere.
    I also plan on undertaking a similar process for importing and calibrating into Maps n Trax, but first things first.........

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

LaughingBeagles (8th November 2015), MudRunnerTD (11th January 2013), NissanGQ4.2 (11th January 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Step 1: What you need........

Before you can do anything, you're gonna need a paper copy of a Rooftop's map, IMO simply the best maps of the Victorian High Country tracks and historic sites all in one. I bought a new copy of the one I wanted because my existing one is, shall we say, well used and I didn't want the electronic quality compromised.

1. A new paper Rooftop's Map
    2. Somebody with a jolly big scanner. I used Officeworks. it cost me about $2 to scan an A1 size original map.
    3. A USB drive to put your scan on.
    4. A copy of IrfanView; http://www.irfanview.com/
    5. A windows PC (mine is XP Pro so cant speak for anything else)
    6. A copy of Memory Map Navigator for the PC and $50 to activate the "Import 3rd party maps" option (will also activate this option on your iPad too); http://memory-map.com.au/memory-map-...downloads.html
    7. An iPad (or stand alone GPS device but I cant confirm the importation process for one of those).
    6. HEMA maps or Memory Map application on your iPhone/iPad.

I think that's about it....
    Last edited by Drewboyaus; 4th March 2013 at 10:32 PM.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

AB (20th January 2013), Bloodyaussie (13th May 2014), MudRunnerTD (11th January 2013), NissanGQ4.2 (11th January 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Step 2: The scan and image preparation.

Ok, so hopefully you have the stuff you need.....and I didn't forget anything!

1. Take your USB and your paper map to an Officeworks that has a large format scanner. Anywhere else with a large format scanner will do too and some of the printing places (Minuteman etc.) may be a bit better for giving you more scanning options (which would eliminate one step). Officeworks worked for me though, so we'll stick with that.
    2. Request your scan. Ideally you want it as an 8-bit TIFF file. The Officeworks I went to could only do a 24-bit version. This is a higher colour resolution than what is needed (8-bit), but that's ok, we'll fix that shortly......
    3. Make sure you're near a BCF or something because the scan can take a little while......go for a browse! LOL
    4. I hope you've installed IrfranView 'cause we're going to need that now..........
    5. Plug in your USB stick and navigate to it using Windows Explorer. Locate your image and change the file name to one that represents the map you're creating.

6. Open IrfranView, go to the "File" tab and open your recently renamed image. A tip is to disable the preview checkbox, otherwise you will wait a minute or so as it generates a preview image from what is a very large file.

7. Now we want to reduce the overall image colour resolution as I mentioned earlier. We need to reduce this from the scanned image's 24-bit colour back to 8-bit..... Go to the "Image" tab and select reduce colour depth. From the next text box, you want to select "256 colours" and leave everything else as is.

8. Save your reduced image as a TIFF type file to a DIFFERENT location, somewhere you know where to find it. I created a Rooftop maps folder on my desktop and saved it in there so I knew where to find it later, and so I didn't mess with my original scan in case I needed it again later too.......which I did! (but hopefully by following this you wont!).

That's it for this step, more to come soon.......

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

AB (20th January 2013), Bloodyaussie (13th May 2014), NissanGQ4.2 (11th January 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Step 3: Map calibration

Ok, this is where I got tripped up a few times and hopefully the lessons I learned will save someone else the serious aggravation it gave me.........
    From this point forward I will use Memory Map (MM) to describe both it and the Hema Navigator software because they are one in the same.
    The thing to get your head around is that Memory Map uses longitude and latitude by default to calibrate maps whereas the Rooftop's maps use a UTM grid (instant clash). Memory Map WILL do UTM data for map calibration BUT none of this is documented AT ALL in the Memory Map help file. You have to know by ESP that there is a setting buried in the various tabs to turn the feature on, let alone realise that MM uses a slightly different format to the UTM data you will find on most Australian maps!
    Anyhoo, on we go......

1. Open the copy of Memory Map for PC you downloaded and installed earlier.......

2. You will also need to hit the MM website and create a user account. You will need this anyway if you want to download and purchase any other maps;
    http://memory-map.com.au/memory-map-...anagement.html

3. You will need to go to the next link to purchase (or activate your 5 day trial) the license to import 3rd party and scanned maps into MM. This is where your $50 goes.....
    If you have trouble with the license activation and it can be a bit cumbersome, let me know and I'll post some info on it but I want to stay on mission for now......
    http://w2.memory-map.com/cgi-bin/lic...ture=0x10000c6

4. From within MM, click "Maps", "Refresh Map List", and Add the folder containing the image file you created with IrfranView. When you have chosen the folder, clicked OK and the list is refreshed you should see your map image in the list. Highlight it and click the "Edit" button. From here you can add some data, its not critical for now, but I like to add the scale and map edition as a minimum. Click OK to finish and then double click on the name of your image file in the map list. This will open the image in Memory Map.

5. From within MM, go to the "Mode" tab because we want to change the position format from Long/Lat to UTM Grid. This is one of the bits that drove me nuts because nowhere in the help file does it suggest you might need to do this.....(slaps forehead). We need to select UTM Grid on WGS84 as per the image below.

6. Open the help file in MM and look through the index for Scan Maps, select it and display. Read well. Some elements we have already done. Essentially following the instructions will get you to the end successfully but only if you do it together with my notes below.

Reference Points:
    Easy as pie with Rooftops as they have grid lines you can line up to get it spot on. The Rooftop's grid lines are spaced at 1km so though not all the grid lines are marked, you can use some basic maths to count up and down from known positions to get the Northing and Easting points for each of the three references you need.
    Don't panic, its not as tricky as it looks identifying the reference points.
    Pick your three points and write them down (also mark them on your paper map so you don't forget where they were). From the Rooftops map you will get a four digit number for the Easting (grid numbers along the top) and a four digit number for the Northing (grid numbers down the side). For example; at your chosen reference the Easting might be 0439 and the Northing might be 5820, write them down like that for now because were going to mess around with them again shortly.

Calibration
    You should have your three reference points chosen and marked on your paper map and the Easting and Northing references written down for each one.
    Go to the "Map" tab and select the "calibration" option. A dialogue box will open. For each of your three points you will need to scroll around the map, pick out the location, click the cross hair on that location and enter the Easting and Northing coordinates you wrote down....what they don't tell you in the instructions is that this UTM information needs to be presented in a particular way.
    Most maps in Australia have the area I was calibrating around Walhalla located in region 55H, in Memory Map this was somewhere between here and New Zealand!!!!!....it had me stuffed. It was only while looking around the basemap of Australia in the general vicinity of where I was hoping to be, I noticed in the bottom right hand corner of the map, MM had the region as 55S. If you look at the pic below, notice where the pointer is and in the bottom right corner the grid reference format. This was the clue I needed to work out the format MM needed for it's location data.

I'll continue shortly........
    Last edited by Drewboyaus; 20th January 2013 at 09:37 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

AB (20th January 2013), FNQGU (29th December 2013), Ronin (4th December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Step 3: Map calibration continued.......

Well, that's annoying. Just looking at my image posted above, the cursor didn't show up in my screen print....D-Oh......I hope you get the idea anyway!

So now the calibration detail. In the image below you can see the location I selected for one of my reference points and the text box where that UTM coordinate detail gets added. Note the format of the UTM detail in the upper left. On the upper right, you can see two boxes, these are the image coordinates to which the real world UTM data will be attached (explained as best I can).

So if we go back to those original UTM coordinate example shown in the reference point selection (Easting 0439, Northing 5820), the correct format to be entered in the calibration would be:
    55S 439000E 5820000N
    You need to enter each set of coordinates of YOUR 3 chosen reference points. For each one, enter the UTM data in the above format and then click the "save point" button.

NOTE: I found sometimes when I went to click the "save point" button it would do something random to my carefully entered coordinates and I would have to edit the UTM data. Just keep an eye out for that.

Boundary
    You need to set a boundary for your map and the help file is fine with this, except don't be looking for the route you mark at the boundary to turn red when completed. It will turn dark blue. I also needs to be completed in one continuous piece, not segments.

Other than that, if you follow the instructions you should now have all the missing info you need to import your own scanned map quite easily.
    I don't imagine once you have the scan completed it will take much more than an hour to do the calibration and import each map.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

AB (20th January 2013), FNQGU (29th December 2013), lorrieandjas (11th January 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Step 4: export to iPad

The Memory Map help file is quite straightforward on how to import your newly created and calibrated map into the iPad.
    Follow that and you should in no time be enjoying the best maps of the Victorian High Country for 4WDing on your iPad with a moving map and all the features of your HEMA navigator.
    The same principals would apply to scanning any of your favourite paper maps.

If enough people have dramas with the importation/export to iPad I will flesh this bit out but I think it's already covered in the manual.

I hope everyone has followed what's been going on through this thread and it makes some sense. Please post any questions you have and I'll do my best to guide you through.
    Happy Trails!
    Drew.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

AB (20th January 2013), Ducer (19th January 2013), Ronin (4th December 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legend! Started looking into this about 6months ago and gave up.

When I get a spare moment, I'll give it a go. I'll give it a go using vicmap 1:50 topo's.
    dave's 4x4 trips
    93 GQ Maverick with fun stuff

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY: Scan, calibrate and import a Rooftop Map for use in Hema/Memory Map software

Good luck with it mate. Let me know if you need any help.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 20,707 Times in 8,557 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nicely explained mate, will get back to this one soon!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE: DIY: Scan, calibrate and import a Rooftop Map for use in Hema/Memory Map software

Excellent write up drew two thumbs up
    Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Board Express
    green 1997 rx 2.8td manual, 2"liftkit with poli air in the rear, bullbar, ipf900 spotties, snorkle, uhf, 145lt longrange tank

soon to include 3" exhaust, custom psi/pyro gauge inbuilt to the dash and plenty natual pinstriping by the bush

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast