OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: AAAGGGHHHH! Does anyone know how to properly calibrate Rooftop's maps in Memory Map?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AAAGGGHHHH! Does anyone know how to properly calibrate Rooftop's maps in Memory Map?

This has been killing me.......
    I've got the Rooftop map scanning easily sorted, colours suitably reduced, map quality looks good BUT, I simply can't seem to work out how to calibrate the map properly for the Memory Map software (same as Hema)......I've been dicking around with it for hours but I just cant seem to work it out.
    The gridlines on the rooftop map don't seem to equate to longitude or latitude in a sense I understand anyway.
    Does anyone have any thoughts please on what the gridlines on the Rooftop map represent and how I use that in Memory Map?......or any other program (OziExplorer) for that matter that might give me a clue as to WTF I need to do........
    Many thanks.....time to go to bed me thinks before I explode......
    Cheers.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not sure of term but are you using correct grid, used to know all this stuff as in true north ,magnetic north
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean correct map datum TD???

I think its GDA94 and if you don't have that then WGS84
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys......I'm not in bed yet......LOL!
    The datum is WGS 84 and that bit is ok, it seems to have something to to with the entry of UTM coordinates instead of Lat/Long.....I can't seem to get the correct format in the calibration area........

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know SFA about memory map as I am an Ozi fan so not quite sure exactly what your issue is and this is just a long shot seeing as you mention Lat long to UTM... but... have you tried putting the northing in with a - (minus sign).

Also some GIS and GPS mobs are now using 14 figure UTM by putting a zero in front of the eastings you could maybe try that as well
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YOU BEAUTY!
    Amazing what a good nights sleep can do for problem solving capacity.....
    I managed to nut out the issue. It looks like Memory map uses a different (unique) UTM mapping zone to the majority I've ever seen......so that part of Gippsland is located in 55S according to Memory Map rather than the more typically used (by CFA etc) zone 55H. That combined with the addition of a few zeros to the Northing and Easting seems to have fixed it.
    Imported to the Hema maps app and map is there. Just need to test it now.
    I'm going to do a how-to on this over the next couple of days as for those of us Mexicans, the Rooftops maps are the bomb when it comes to high country maps and it means anyone using Hema Navigator will be able to view the Rooftop maps on their Hema app or device.
    Thanks for the pointers guys....
    Cheers,
    Andrew

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (11th January 2013), the evil twin (11th January 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    YOU BEAUTY!
    Amazing what a good nights sleep can do for problem solving capacity.....
    I managed to nut out the issue. It looks like Memory map uses a different (unique) UTM mapping zone to the majority I've ever seen......so that part of Gippsland is located in 55S according to Memory Map rather than the more typically used (by CFA etc) zone 55H. That combined with the addition of a few zeros to the Northing and Easting seems to have fixed it.
    Imported to the Hema maps app and map is there. Just need to test it now.
    I'm going to do a how-to on this over the next couple of days as for those of us Mexicans, the Rooftops maps are the bomb when it comes to high country maps and it means anyone using Hema Navigator will be able to view the Rooftop maps on their Hema app or device.
    Thanks for the pointers guys....
    Cheers,
    Andrew
    Well done dude... and that makes immediate sense to me.

Putting an "S" after the Zone number is another commonish GIS method to show southern hemisphere co-ordinates because the origon is past the Pole the alpha is redundant to a lot of applications.

" WGS 84 / UTM zone 55S is a projected CRS last revised on 06/02/1995 and is suitable for use in Between 144°E and 150°E, southern hemisphere between 80°S and equator, onshore and offshore. Australia. Papua New Guinea. WGS 84 / UTM zone 55S uses the WGS 84 geographic 2D CRS as its base CRS and the UTM zone 55S (Transverse Mercator) as its projection. WGS 84 / UTM zone 55S is a CRS for Large and medium scale topographic mapping and engineering survey."

At least it WGS84 so the datumn should be close enough to be more than acceptable for 4WD and reccy use. Again, well sorted.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 11th January 2013 at 07:31 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.