Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MDC Campers: Yey or Ney

Hi Gents,

I know there has been a bit of discussion about the MDC camper trailers in other threads but i was wondering if anyone out there has actually brought one and tried it out.

I'm looking at getting my first camper as a bit of a trial to see what I like in a trailer and what improvements would be benificial so I dont want to shell out big bucks.

The MDC's appear to be pretty well put together and seem quite structual for the price.

If anyone has had any experience with these campers ( Good or Bad ) i would really appreciate your opinion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate - I can't say I've owned one - always owned Johnno's but thought I would pipe in with some advice. It's a good idea to figure out a few things such as:

1. What do you want to use it for?
    2. How much are you prepared to spend?
    3. If you are just trialling it why not hire a couple to see what you think?
    4. What sort of extras are necessities for your answer to 1.
    5. Other people's feedback (which is what you are doing here)

I know I haven't answered your question directly but this should help and will lead to other questions you will ask. The difference to me is if you get an MDC and it costs you say $10k all up and then you love campertrailers and it busts and you buy another one but different manufacturer you may spend more in the long run. Not saying MDC will break - as I said never had one - but just trying to give some food for thought on a big spend.

Hope it helps and good luck with your search.

Jas

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

2013 Travelling Wilbury's Cape York Trip - bring it on!

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine bought one just before xmas. looks the goods. How ever, I personally would not go across AU with it. I would not do any serious 4wding / camping with a MDC or any other flat pack type camper. If you are only intending on soft roading than it will be fine.
    Steve

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't touch one if you payed me!!! Just like any cheap inport crap its not worth your hard earned cash!! You would be better off saving up and getting an Australian built trailer like Lifestyle Camper Trailers or buying a 2nd hand Australian built one.... If you think that a MDC looks like its well put together pop down to Lifestyle at moss street and you will soon see how craply put together the MDC's are...

Lewy
    Last edited by Lewy; 9th January 2013 at 06:02 PM.
    GU ST-L 4.2 turbo diesel Because reliability counts!!!!!
    Front Elocker and a Heep more cool stuff :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4wdin View Post
    A friend of mine bought one just before xmas. looks the goods. How ever, I personally would not go across AU with it. I would not do any serious 4wding / camping with a MDC or any other flat pack type camper. If you are only intending on soft roading than it will be fine.
    Steve
    Hey Steve - just curious on your definition on serious 4wd'ing? Would you consider the Cape or the Desert Tracks as serious or are you meaning mud and rock-hopping? I know heaps of trailer-based campers that have done AU several times and no issues. In fact their vehicles had the issues!

Jas

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jas, I personally have a lifestyle camper, and would be confident to go any where and any terrain with it. Well build good suspension. When i say serious 4wding I mean your cape trip coming up (dam you) or desert etc. I would not trust a flat pack type trailer. Tent is a tent is a tent. The trailer has to follow the 4wd and stand up to rocks, ruts recoveries etc. they may be the tow vehicle draging your 3 tonne car backwards out of a bog on the telegraph track being pulled with another patrol. Will a cheap trailer handle that sort of punishment? As I said they are in my opinion ok for soft roading only.
    Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Hi Gents,

I know there has been a bit of discussion about the MDC camper trailers in other threads but i was wondering if anyone out there has actually brought one and tried it out.

I'm looking at getting my first camper as a bit of a trial to see what I like in a trailer and what improvements would be benificial so I dont want to shell out big bucks.

The MDC's appear to be pretty well put together and seem quite structual for the price.

If anyone has had any experience with these campers ( Good or Bad ) i would really appreciate your opinion
    You might want to hire a camper or two to see what their like before you buy one particular brand. Just a thought.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah,

I was thinking about possibly hiring a camper or two as a bit of a test.

I do agree with most of you guys, obviously an australian built camper would be ideal but as funds are limited and most of the second hand campers I have seen have had a bit of a rough life I guess the appeal of knowing that everything is brand new on the MDC is a bit tempting. The other advantage of getting a new MDC is there is at least a bit of a warranty behind it. I might keep looking around and try and find that second hand deal of the century.

Thanks guys,

I appreciate your input.

cheers,

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4wdin View Post
    Hey Jas, I personally have a lifestyle camper, and would be confident to go any where and any terrain with it. Well build good suspension. When i say serious 4wding I mean your cape trip coming up (dam you) or desert etc. I would not trust a flat pack type trailer. Tent is a tent is a tent. The trailer has to follow the 4wd and stand up to rocks, ruts recoveries etc. they may be the tow vehicle draging your 3 tonne car backwards out of a bog on the telegraph track being pulled with another patrol. Will a cheap trailer handle that sort of punishment? As I said they are in my opinion ok for soft roading only.
    Steve
    Hey Steve - I think I misunderstood your previous post! You were saying the cheapies are only good for softroading but a decent campertrailer is OK?

Jas

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorrieandjas View Post
    Hey Steve - I think I misunderstood your previous post! You were saying the cheapies are only good for softroading but a decent campertrailer is OK?

Jas
    Jas Exactly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast