Thread: Water Tank and SHURflo pump in GU with tap on rear door

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Tank and SHURflo pump in GU with tap on rear door

Hi All, this was my second project over the last couple of days, so want to post it up before I go back to work tomorrow, get distracted and never get around to it.

I had the drawers made up and mounted them and the home made cargo barrier about 6 months back. Hopefully one day I'll post those builds as well, but for now, I'll just point out that I first found the tank. I then had the drawers built to suit the tank and built the cargo barrier over the top of it all.

Also I was fortunate that a friend was traveling to Aus last month and was able to get me the pump as I could not find anything like it here. (Doesn't mean it is not here somewhere, but I doubt it is).

The starting point yesterday was with the tank mounted in position, but no plumbing or fittings. The tank is meant to be about 40 litres.

This is the pump. I just sent my friend to the caravan shop in Ballarat to get whatever they had, as long as it had a pressure switch built in. This is what he got me:

I had that time old "debate with self" about where to mount the tap. Took a while and a few circles. Eventually I won (or did I lose?). Anyway this is what I had in mind, could it be done?

Start with looking at the possibility of getting the hose to the door somehow. I took a good look on the web, but could not get any hits on putting the hose through the rear door. So, start with the basics, pull it apart and take a look. It seemed like it might fit through the same path as the electrics and the tube for the water on the rear wiper. I then decided to give it a try.

To my own surprise, seemed feasible.

Really struggled to work out where I was going to put the pump. The tank had an outlet at the bottom on both sides, so that didn't matter. Was going to mount it up near the batter on the top of the drawers, but I wasn't happy with it. It actually seemed to take too much space and was much "bigger" wherever I put it compared to what I thought before I got it to the car. Also the orientation of the inlet and outlet on the pump meant I had to face it the opposite way than where I thought it naturally wanted to go.

Finally I started thinking of putting it on the other side and that I might have a chance to get the hose under the drawers from one side to the other. There was just the perfect amount of space to fit it. Sometimes things just work out.

The drawer is resting on the plastic cover at the back and that creates a gap in front of the plastic cover. Used a coat hanger taped to the hose and a lever or two (had to get a helper) and managed to pull the hose through. So the hose comes from the door, through the rubber piece, into the rear panel and then out through the jack well at the bottom and was fed from right to left looking at the back:

I mounted the pump off the side of the drawers on the left side (near the intake for the rear aircon).

Thanks, Cameron
    No Patrol now - Just good memories!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgm For This Useful Post:

MC97GQ (5th January 2013), NissanGQ4.2 (6th January 2013)