Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milly the Maverick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milly the Maverick

I bought a Zoo, I mean a maverick about 6 weeks ago to tidy up with my sons and use as a camping/ fun truck as well as to teach them to drive. My eldest has just got his 'L' license and has about 97 more hours to do...
    The vehicle is a dark blue 1990 petrol auto maverick 7 seater (only 225k!) which came with a knackered auto box, so the first order was out with the slushbox and in with a decent reliable manual box and a new clutch.
    The bill stands so far...$1500 for the truck
    $700 for gearbox and all conversion parts and a set of fixed rear windows
    $300 for new clutch
    $270 for oils all through, filters, hoses, coolant etc.
    $0 for the 31 inch muddies i pinched off my work ute...
    So far the gearbox has been changed, she had a Christmas service and yesterday the boys and I gutted the interior, Gernied out the carpets and hosed out the inside.
    Found a tiny bit of rust under the drivers and passengers foot well but no holes, and the usual cracking around the rear seat mounts.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the truck and the condition of it so far.

Next on the agenda is a suspension swap using a 4 inch kit and snorkle out of a mates shorty he is wrecking to 4.2 his GU.
    We are hoping to have it on the road in a few weeks so I can get out there in the bush. Looking forward to a trip out to Sundown NP to try it out on the rocks and scrub...
    Pics to follow!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 90mav For This Useful Post:

AB (3rd January 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff, looking forward to seeing some pics
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff mate, pics of the work in progress is always good... people love to see how a plan comes together not just the end result.

Anyway hope all comes together in time and you hit the tracks with boys in tow.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice one mate. Great to see a Father / Son build. Look forward to the pics
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate and welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great project to do with your son!

Jas

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

2013 Travelling Wilbury's Cape York Trip - bring it on!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry no pics yet... cant find my camera!

Fitted the one piece windows yesterday with a generic offset glazing rubber ($40) for both sides is a darn site better than the $75 per side from an autoglass place!
    Knocked up a steel bumper bar today out of some 100x50 RHS and flat bar ($65). Not the classiest item but solid enough to tak a serious hit.
    Just got to find the reverse switch wiring to get the lights working and reverse the polarity on the super crap washer bottle so it pumps water out and not air in... gotta laugh at chinese stuff eh?
    Getting pretty close to rego now but its gettin hard to motivate my boys to help. They may have to just watch me enjoy the truck and miss out...

Bill now stands at $2875 pretty happy with that so far

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 90mav For This Useful Post:

PMC (18th January 2013)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90mav View Post
    Sorry no pics yet... cant find my camera!

Fitted the one piece windows yesterday with a generic offset glazing rubber ($40) for both sides is a darn site better than the $75 per side from an autoglass place!
    Knocked up a steel bumper bar today out of some 100x50 RHS and flat bar ($65). Not the classiest item but solid enough to tak a serious hit.
    Just got to find the reverse switch wiring to get the lights working and reverse the polarity on the super crap washer bottle so it pumps water out and not air in... gotta laugh at chinese stuff eh?
    Getting pretty close to rego now but its gettin hard to motivate my boys to help. They may have to just watch me enjoy the truck and miss out...

Bill now stands at $2875 pretty happy with that so far
    G'day 90mav,

Good onya mate, all the best with your build with your son!

Regards,

RLI
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    G'day and welcome forum only runs on pics.lol Heaps of great ppl here ,tips and info on every topic.
    jump in anytime and enjoy, and remember pics
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doh! No camera yet so still no pictures, but I got it roadworthied and rego'd today. Its not running too well but after chasing down a couple of vacuum leaks it is at least idling now. Got the last few bits sorted and now its tiume to get started on the fun stuff like lifting, fitting some cargo drawers and barrier and hunting down some bigger tyres. Its gonna look a bit funny with 3-4 inch coils and 31s under it. Could have a party under each guard! The bill is up to (about) $3500 now and the funds are running low so any mods in the next few months will be budget ones!
    The first trip should be in the next month or so before easter with my youngest son (13). He wants to do a trip to rainbow beach for a night or 2 and maybe have a sneaky go at letting the clutch out...if I can get another booster for it by then! The rotten thing leaks like mad and stalls the engine when the pedal is pressed.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a set of coils a few weeks ago on ebay. Dobinsons 3inch they had written on the bits of masking tape attached... Its now 41/2 inches taller at the rear and 51/2 at the front! I scored a pair of Rancho RS9000 shocks for the front and sone konis for the rear. I also have a set of front arms with offset bushes and a set of adjustable panhards to go on too. The front is a bit hard at the moment but I figure its only going to put weight on there anyway...
    Still no camera tho...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast