Thread: Complete axle refurb queries

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complete axle refurb queries

Hi guys , your divine help needed please
    I have aquired a pair of axles off a 2.8 trol so I can fit them on my 4.2 and so get the gearing right for my 35s
    Now while I have them off the truck I'm refurbishing them in readiness.
    What modifications are worth doing at this stage to get me good flex. I can't afford a big shopping list but do have access to machine shop services
    eg Longer rear arms top and bottom ? I can make them adjustable reasonably easily, but to what benefit ?
    Any views on powder coating them or just paint them to death
    Drilling bushes for extra flex ? Any good ?
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate I am assuming you actually have a complete pair of Diffs and not just the axles which are intern parts of the diffs .

Getting flex will really come down to what you bolt to the diffs not the diffs themselves. Spring length, sway bars, drop boxes, or drop arms. Sooooo much can be done.

Is your car a wagon, shortie or tray back? Have a chat with Beneboy about a long arm kit for the back.

At the end of the day though Patrols flex well at the back without trouble, it's the front you want to get moving about.

Have a search in the suspension section but you will find not much benefit in modifying the diff housings.

Think about doing a swivel hub rebuild and wheel bearings, maybe a Bracing kit if you keen and going to really use the car??

You could get away with just taking out the diff centre and swapping it over rather than you doing a full diff swap?

Have fun.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 30th December 2012 at 10:59 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    powder coating will work for awhil ,bit go to your local auto paint shop and get some POR15, ITS AWESOME
    STUFF CAN'T EVEN CHIP IT HITTING IT WITH A HAMMER.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

us poms are crap at cricket fracster's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 387 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    POR 15 is superb stuff mate,as threedogs says above.

You get that supercharger sorted yet?
    It is now official, we are not quite so sh@t at cricket as we were! Rugby Union is a different matter.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for that, yes I have complete axles including diffs intact. Mine is a shortie and I've so far done a +2" suspension lift and +2" body lift. It is used in anger every other week or so My existing axles have many issues like a bust calliper rear left ( burst it off roading a few weeks back, now clamped off with a mole grip and gaffa tape ?) Swivels are doing a hell of a lot of swiveling in every broody direction. So I thought I'd do the swivels, bearings, brakes etc on the bench and then swap over.
    I'll look into this POR 15 stuff, never heard of it over here but may be around .
    What is a bracing kit please ?
    Supercharger mounts under construction :-)
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now have the axles under strip down
    Por15 ready to go ( from the states :/ )
    Now merging with this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...s-gearing-help.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love por15. With 2 or more coats applied it almost looks and feels like it's been coated in ceramic. The majority of my gq's underside had been painted with por 15. There is a product called metal prep that makes the por15 stick better. If you haven't already applied the por 15 I'd get ahold of this stuff.