Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fridge console

G'day all.

Has anyone turned the origional console into a fridge?
    What have most people done about a fridge console?

Im currently constructing a fridge console using the existing console and putting in a aluminium insert into the console. Also i will be (if possible) putting a splitter into one of the air vent piping and directing it straight into the console some how. Hopefully (if all goes to some paln i have in my head) the insert into the console will be insulated too and keep things cool. If i am unable to direct a pipe into the console from the air vent it'll just be used with an ice brick in it.

Dont worry pics and a detailed write up will be on the way for anyone who would like to see exactly what i planning to do.

Glen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see your plan but they only down fall I see is it'll only cool when ac is on.. the rest of time it'll be absorbing heat from the floor.
    It will probably be easier to install a small wayco fridge. They come with 2 cup holders and when not in use can store crap. But it can be used to cool beers even when its mild temps..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What model patrol... a 93 GQ?

I don't think you will get a great result with an A/C feed. The air feels "cold as" to us humans but isn't all that great for cooling down stuff. Nissan fooled around for a while with air vent adapters in X trails that you could swap around and they held a can in the outlet. Dunno if they still have them but they are pretty shyte.

Better to go with your ice brick idea or even a "Peltier effect" set up like in the 1001 12 volt cooler/warmers available on Ebay/supercrap/retchco etc but Peltier heat exchanger circuits are fairly power hungry (about 4 to 5 amps or so).

If you do want an A/C feed and have a GU there are outlets under the front seats but they only flow when "feet" are selected so you might freeze your tootsies trying to chill your beers
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    What model patrol... a 93 GQ?

I don't think you will get a great result with an A/C feed. The air feels "cold as" to us humans but isn't all that great for cooling down stuff. Nissan fooled around for a while with air vent adapters in X trails that you could swap around and they held a can in the outlet. Dunno if they still have them but they are pretty shyte.
    I actually quite liked the a/c coolers in the xtrail, found they worked ok and better than nowt at all........ Obviously much better to put cold cans or bottles in the holders than warm ones as it took way too long to cool otherwise, but then again not really any different to putting warm beer in an Engel or waeco, still takes a week while to chill

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    I actually quite liked the a/c coolers in the xtrail, found they worked ok and better than nowt at all........ Obviously much better to put cold cans or bottles in the holders than warm ones as it took way too long to cool otherwise, but then again not really any different to putting warm beer in an Engel or waeco, still takes a week while to chill

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....
    Hiya Clunk.... yeah, I hear what your saying and fair enuf. They would keep a cold can coldish while you ate your tucker or whatever but I didn't like 'em at all really. I gotta admit that my experience with them was Qld where even the A/C struggled for humans at times so my opinion may be a tad harsh.

Still reckon an A/C feed into a box on the centre console would be disappointing which is a shame 'cause the missus and I would love something there as well. The dinky little compressor frig's are too dear and the Peltier frig's suck amps big time.

ATM we have a lunch sized esky the same width as, and behind, the centre console which we keep a couple of bits of fruit, some snacks, a few softie cans and a couple of bottles of water nice and cold with tech ice...

Haven't found a better option yet so will follow this thread with interest.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my wife's car (100series Kakadu) it comes with the center console fridge - same as the Sahara - they are a separate Aircon system - all it does it blow cold air (masses of it and fast) into the fridge area
    takes about 1 hour for a warm can of coke to be cold enough to drink. and at $3500 from Toy for a new unit, not worth trying to modify
    However
    Engel have just released a 14Lt 12V only fridge, about $600.00 from Engel for my Xmas pressie

http://http://www.engeland.com.au/pr...9&itemnid=1875

smart little unit, with a large lid & a top door as well
    well worth the missus money for my Pressie even if I do say so

cheers
    Last edited by Bigcol; 25th December 2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: picture didnt show
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Hiya Clunk.... yeah, I hear what your saying and fair enuf. They would keep a cold can coldish while you ate your tucker or whatever but I didn't like 'em at all really. I gotta admit that my experience with them was Qld where even the A/C struggled for humans at times so my opinion may be a tad harsh.

Still reckon an A/C feed into a box on the centre console would be disappointing which is a shame 'cause the missus and I would love something there as well. The dinky little compressor frig's are too dear and the Peltier frig's suck amps big time.

ATM we have a lunch sized esky the same width as, and behind, the centre console which we keep a couple of bits of fruit, some snacks, a few softie cans and a couple of bottles of water nice and cold with tech ice...

Haven't found a better option yet so will follow this thread with interest.
    As will I........ I either a use a 33ltr esky which keeps things about as cool as a tin roof on a hot summers day (must get a new one some day soon), or I use a 30ish ltr Waeco Tropicool cooler which my father outlaw picked up for £10 from a garage sale....... it works OK but again, need to put cold stuff in with a few ice bricks in first. Both way to bulky to put anywhere other than the boot, if all other seats are occupied..

all tapped out!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just been reading, yep I'm up... Seems the waeco cdf11 is the pick of the bunch. If you google it there are a few build installs.

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alrighty, so i have made a start on the fridge console using the existing console. However instead of using the air con from the car to keep it cool i found an old 12v 'travel cooler' thingo and have opted to pull the guts out and use it in the console. Gave it a quick test run in the truck today. Will have to get back with temp inside, but it was fairly cold with a fair amount of condensation inside it. All thats left is some more trim bits and a lick of paint.
    Pics tell the story. (sorry the computer wouldnt help me get the pics the right way up)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S: it has enough room inside to put a six pack in, how convenient!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast