Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No 4wding for me for a while - dead Turbo

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you ever done the head on it? How many k's on the old girl? Being that it got hot a dud turbo wouldnt cause this. With the info I have it nearly sounds head related.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They didn't do anything with the timing did they?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they touched the timing Yendor. They were only supposed to replace the rocker cover gasket.

Nissannewby, I replaced the head about two years ago along with water pump and radiator.

One possible cause is that the exhaust isn't flowing as it should. This would explain both the loss of power and overheating where the gasses cant escape. The cooling system seems to be ok where there is plenty of flow through the radiator. So I'm going to look at the exhaust to see if they have accidentally crimped the pipe or there is a blockage of some form. It could be a ceased turbo.
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If turbo was knackered you would have bulk black smoke coming from the rear. Check the crankcase breather isnt blocked either.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkinsey View Post
    Mate. No smoke, no noises just no Power and while I was travelling down the freeway it was a little warmer than usual. 20 mins later I come off the freeway and into street traffic and bam!! she nearly boils.

I did notice that the turbo whine was very quiet so its probably just a coincedence.
    Mate. Has old mate the mechanic altered the timing or valve adjustment whilst having the lid off.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    If turbo was knackered you would have bulk black smoke coming from the rear. Check the crankcase breather isnt blocked either.
    Usually knackered turbo, white smoke and heaps of it. Black smoke un burnt fuel.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments boys. This is an unusual one.

Although Im disappointed that I Paid for my car to be repaired but it was running fine, just leaking a little bit of oil to now the car is completely off the road and potentially is going to cost me thousands to get it back on the road again. To say that I wont be using that mechanic again is an understatement.

I'll get it home today and start troubleshooting the problem properly until I find the root cause of the problem, and if I find that they have caused the issue then there may be a vacancy opening up for a new mechanic.......

Cheers,

Rob

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends on how much damage is done to the turbo. If its chewed it completely and allowing oil through then you will get a white/blueish smoke due to it now burning oil. You can get black smoke as well due to the fact the fuel pump is still supplying fuel for forced induction and now there isn't enough air unburnt fuel.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    x what the others say , NQR in my books, no power, could just be filthy MAF over heating is either over fueling or no boost.
    I''d be checking and cleaning before forking out $$$$$, when you blow turbo They tend to want to come out through the Exhaust,
    nothing like you mention IMO
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks boys. Well I found the root cause of the overheating problem at least, its a blocked radiator core! This is left over from the head replacement two years ago where the mechanic who did the work wasn't completely honest with me in the work that he performed.

First he didn't flush the cooling system before putting the new radiator in (although I should have done a bit more maintenance and I would have caught it earlier) and there was still some sediment in the system that has been caught by the radiator.

He charged me for a new Thermostat housing and the one I took off yesterday was definitely not a new one two years ago.

So, its a new radiator. But that has to wait until the end of January when I come back from London.

The turbo hasn't been the best since I bought the car and I have been planning on replacing it any way so I am going to bite the bullet and get one, but most likely from the US or the UK as they are less than half price of the ones here in Australia. $600.00 in the US or $2000 in AUS.... a no brainer really. I will also install a snorkel as well as boost and pyro gauges. I know I don't really need the boost gauge for the T25 but it will keep me informed on what is going on. Any information is better than no information in my book.

TD. I don't think the RD28T has a MAF. ( I may be wrong though ) there is no sensor on the intake pipe between the Air Filter and the turbo that I can see at least. If anyone can shed some more light on my inexperience, I'm all ears..

During my diagnosis work over the past few days I also found a very small fuel leak coming from under the fuel pump so that is going to get a service as well.

The silver lining to all of this?? At least I found all of this before travelling north for 4 hours and being stuck in the middle of the freeway in 40 deg heat with a fully loaded car, kids, presents and food for all of us for a week..!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast