Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Survival Kits

Seeing as nobody else has put anything up, lets talk about Survival Kits as I am in the process of completing my own. Feel free to include you own set ups / items for those who have not had the need to create a kit before or have previously never had a need for one.

I will update my list here when time permits to show items that "I believe should be included in a kit". This is not a be all or end all list and is adaptable to any individuals personal needs or requirements.

This is for Information Purposes only. DO NOT Solely rely on the information provided here. Seek professional guidance / training if unsure BEFORE undertaking anything that may require usage of a Survival Kit in any situation.

In most instances there should really be 2 types of kits made up. Sometimes more depending on numbers i.e Family Kits

The 1st being a small kit comprising of your basic items and that is small and portable enough that can either be carried in your pocket, in a puch on your belt or within the glove box of your vehicle.

The second being a more comprehensive kit that is housed in a sturdy, easy to carry bag, preferably a backpack or similar over the shoulder type bag. Duffel or computer / satchell type bags are not suitable due to lack even weight distribution on the body "IF YOU HAVE TO MOVE IN A LAST RESORT!"

When you make up a kit, you need to bear in mind the 4 basic principles for Survival;

1: Shelter
    2: Warmth - Time, Place and Circumstance will dictate this requirement. It may be required to change to "Cooling".
    3: Water
    4: Food

Personal Kits

A personal kit is 1 that is small, compact and preferably water / dust proof, able to be put in a pocket, small pouch or glovebox. These are examples only and not limited to those described here.

Examples of items included in a Personal Kit;

Small Folding Knife / Multi - Tool
    Bandaids
    Puri / Chemi-Tabs (Water Purification)
    Button Compass
    Small Penlight Torch
    Matches / Flint Stick (or both)
    Small Glow Stick/s
    Tea Bags
    Stock Cube/s
    Thermal Blanket (Space Blanket)
    Small Sewing Kit
    Cotton Wool (In Clipseal Bag, can be soaked in Petroleum Jelly for easier Firelighting)
    Length of Paracord
    Fish Hook/s and Sinker/s (A Centre Strand from Paracord can be used as Line)
    Last edited by oncedisturbed; 21st December 2012 at 02:48 AM.
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oncedisturbed For This Useful Post:

GUtsy ute (18th December 2012)