Thread: Survival Kits

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Survival Kits

Seeing as nobody else has put anything up, lets talk about Survival Kits as I am in the process of completing my own. Feel free to include you own set ups / items for those who have not had the need to create a kit before or have previously never had a need for one.

I will update my list here when time permits to show items that "I believe should be included in a kit". This is not a be all or end all list and is adaptable to any individuals personal needs or requirements.

This is for Information Purposes only. DO NOT Solely rely on the information provided here. Seek professional guidance / training if unsure BEFORE undertaking anything that may require usage of a Survival Kit in any situation.

In most instances there should really be 2 types of kits made up. Sometimes more depending on numbers i.e Family Kits

The 1st being a small kit comprising of your basic items and that is small and portable enough that can either be carried in your pocket, in a puch on your belt or within the glove box of your vehicle.

The second being a more comprehensive kit that is housed in a sturdy, easy to carry bag, preferably a backpack or similar over the shoulder type bag. Duffel or computer / satchell type bags are not suitable due to lack even weight distribution on the body "IF YOU HAVE TO MOVE IN A LAST RESORT!"

When you make up a kit, you need to bear in mind the 4 basic principles for Survival;

1: Shelter
    2: Warmth - Time, Place and Circumstance will dictate this requirement. It may be required to change to "Cooling".
    3: Water
    4: Food

Personal Kits

A personal kit is 1 that is small, compact and preferably water / dust proof, able to be put in a pocket, small pouch or glovebox. These are examples only and not limited to those described here.

Examples of items included in a Personal Kit;

Small Folding Knife / Multi - Tool
    Bandaids
    Puri / Chemi-Tabs (Water Purification)
    Button Compass
    Small Penlight Torch
    Matches / Flint Stick (or both)
    Small Glow Stick/s
    Tea Bags
    Stock Cube/s
    Thermal Blanket (Space Blanket)
    Small Sewing Kit
    Cotton Wool (In Clipseal Bag, can be soaked in Petroleum Jelly for easier Firelighting)
    Length of Paracord
    Fish Hook/s and Sinker/s (A Centre Strand from Paracord can be used as Line)
    Last edited by oncedisturbed; 21st December 2012 at 01:48 AM.
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oncedisturbed For This Useful Post:

GUtsy ute (18th December 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to the WA Police Bushcraft and Survival Guide, 'Aids to Survival'

http://www.vks737.on.net/pdfs/survival.pdf

This subject has been posted somewhere before, but it never hurts to reinforce safety.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I drink enough bourbon I don't worry about shelter, I just pass out where ever
    If I drink enough bourbon I will stay warm
    Water is substituted with bourbon
    I don't eat while drinking as it would mean less time drinking

Glad to know my first aid kit follows the 4 basic principles of survival
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shelter some rope and tarp. Warmth wool blanket and those foil blankets. Water small containers and a packet of matches and a pot to boil up or water tablets food trail mix tinned beans tuna muesli bars
    My ideas if I were to make a kit.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's 'cans' of coffee and chocolate that you can buy for about $4 each. All you do is to shake them and they heat up themselves, then pop the top. Pretty sure you can buy them from servo's or roadhouses.

Tried one once. It kept me warm for a while.

Just something for you to consider to adding to your First Aid Kit - especially in winter.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the former Local Manager of a State Emergency Service Unit, I know the importance of being prepared, telling 'somebody' where you're going and when you return, etc.

People also need to consider joining their local ambulance service. If you have private health, check your policy as your cover may only include urgent stuff, and not transporting, ect.

Considering the $ per km rate, it really is 'cheap insurance.' I believe the subscription also includes RFDS transportation. You can get single and family memberships.

I would hate to see any member or their family get a whopping big bill. Please consider.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Last edited by DX grunt; 18th December 2012 at 10:41 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

lorrieandjas (18th December 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oncedisturbed View Post
    Seeing as nobody else has put anything up, lets talk about Survival Kits as I am in the process of completing my own. Feel free to include you own set ups / items for those who have not had the need to create a kit before or have previously never had a need for one.

I will update my list here when time permits to show items that "I believe should be included in a kit". This is not a be all or end all list and is adaptable to any individuals personal needs or requirements.

In most instances there should really be 2 types of kits made up. Sometimes more depending on numbers i.e Family Kits

The 1st being a small kit comprising of your basic items and that is small and portable enough that can either be carried in your pocket, in a puch on your belt or within the glove box of your vehicle.

The second being a more comprehensive kit that is housed in a sturdy, easy to carry bag, preferably a backpack or similar over the shoulder type bag. Duffel or computer / satchell type bags are not suitable due to lack even weight distribution on the body "IF YOU HAVE TO MOVE IN A LAST RESORT!"

When you make up a kit, you need to bear in mind the 4 basic principles for Survival;

1: Shelter
    2: Warmth
    3: Water
    4: Food

*Time to knock off and will update when i get a chance*
    Hey mate - great topic! I think the principles of survival as per your list:

1. Shelter - stay with your vehicle
    2. Warmth - or cool depending on where you're at. Foil blankets which store in 100x100mm packs. Long clothing for the heat.
    3. Water - 7 litres per day per person. Stored in multiple containers to obviate contamination.
    4. Food - high energy ration packs. Can get them from heaps of places. Water is more important though.

All in all - single daypack will carry all this. Multiples packs for multiple people.

Jas

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

2013 Travelling Wilbury's Cape York Trip - bring it on!

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, will be expanding my list / info when time permits

Tap, Tap Taparoo
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife brought me this book as a Xmas pressie.

I've had a very quick glance through it and can thoroughly recommend it, with no strings attached

4WD Survival Guide by John Basham. Edition 3. It was re-printed in 2012 (this year)

The website reference on the back cover is www.exploreaustralia.net.au

The front cover on the book says......
    Everything from how a 4wd works to maintenance and repairs

The human factor, trouble shooting, modifications and other hints

Different terrains, driving conditions, safety and trip planning.

I also got the book Caravan Survival Guide by John Basham, Edition 2. assuming re-printed 2012, as acknowledgements are dated 2012

It includes... Everything from pre-trip maintenance to power needs

Driving, towing, tyres and other hints.

Health, cooking, pets, insurance and much more

It might be a great starting point for new 4wd owners/enthuasists or teaching old dogs new tricks. lol

Rossco
    Last edited by DX grunt; 19th December 2012 at 07:10 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

lorrieandjas (20th December 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about an epirb
    many years ago while holidaying in townsvile came across a can of dehidrated water instructions are open can and add water ( that was back in joes day )
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast