Thread: Fast indicaters

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    As mentioned above... Grab an LED spec flasher relay off Ebay (or wherever). I can't see the point of fitting LED's then wasting the time money and energy fitting resistors.

When you source the Relay make sure it is wired for a Nissan. The exact same form factor Relay (3 Pin 12 Volt) can come with the terminals reversed
    LED lights require less power to to operate as most will know. The main thing as they draw less current the flasher can doesn't differenciate the difference between led and incandescent bulbs. It can be a total headf---k to get the right unit work. Been there done that with my linehaul truck and still working out the right flasher unit to work with LED lights. ( can be costly) but LED'S last a life time if looked after.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm sure I've seen LEDs on eBay which require no new flasher can/relays or resistors, wish I could remember what they're called....... Sorry to hard to find at the mo, will have another look when on the lappy.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes its due to the relay because it helps the bulbs to tun of and on. You have faulty relay and need to replace it. Change it soon because may be the police will stop you and tell you about the indicators blinking speed.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason it is flashing fast after changing to LED's is because the flashing rate of the old flasher unit changes with the load placed on it. Basically the LED's now fitted are using much less power than the old globes were and so the load on the flashing unit is a lot less and it flashes faster. If for some reason you put 100W globes in your indicator sockets then they would flash really slowly etc.

The easiest fix is to install a resistor across the electrical connections on the back of the LED's, this increases the load (Watts) across the wires and makes the flashing unit believe that the old globes are still installed. The value of the resistor selected will also then change the flashing rate.

Otherwise you can buy specific LED flashing units that are wired to have the flashing rate independent of the load on the unit. This is what was mentioned earlier in this post.
    Hope that my explanation is understood.

Cheers,
    Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12