Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch advice

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clutch advice

HI all, been away a spell, need some info on clutches, I know little about them & want to know how to determine if it requires replacement, I am doing some good 2 week trips next year & the clutch on my Tourer (02 GU 3L) is almost all the way out to engage, it is not slipping in any gear & appears to be holding strong but I dont want a failure or even issues in the middle of nowhere, can it be easily inspected/adjusted, if it requires replacement is there a preferred or better set up clutch system for the GU? or is standard fine, I tow my camper on some trips & again no issues
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hold your foot hard on the brake and slowly let the clutch out til it takes up if you get all the way out foot off the clutch and it hasn t stalled or had some serious drop in revs your clutch is slipping.

this is how i checked mine BTW

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just finished putting in a new clutch in my GUII 3ltr today. You need atleast three people to remove and refit. Not to mention and engine crane, and a couple of good jacks. Plus plenty of neck oil to drink. I just counted it took me 42 stubbies from start to finish. Now all I gotta do is find out where these two bolts I found go...

Also. to your q's. Mine was all the way out on the pedal too, now, its just off the floor, sort of. much better. The original flywheel is what they call a Dual Mass flywheel. Apparently there are not worth a pinch of old cocky shit and your new clutch wont last much past 80k using the dual mass flywheel. So, you can buy a conversion kit with a solid flywheel in the kit along with the usual in a clutch kit. Although it will set you back another 7hunge there abouts. But the clutch will be much stronger and reliable and much better for towing. When I did mine I wasn't sure what flywheel it had so I bought the conversion kit, and it turned out it had a solid wheel already in it. So I will be machining my old one, putting a new spigot bush in and selling it to recoup some of the cost of the new kit and install. You also need a clutch aligning tool, can be had from Repco for $20...Plus a big mash hammer to bash in the floor right next to the bell housing on the right hand side. Make work much easier to get the darn gearbox back in. Me and a mate tried by ourselfs for a good 4 hours and gave up when the clock hit 1am. The next night BA came over and it was in and we where drinking beers about 10 minutes after we started.
    Any questions do ask while its still fresh in my mind as this is one job I would like to forget about. Not technical to do, just time consuming and heavy work. I would prolly cost around $600-$1000 just in labour for a shop to do it. So if your keen, do it yourself.

Also I bought a Clutch Industries "4 Terrain" kit too btw. From what I read its suppose to be one of the best kits around.
    Last edited by mudski; 16th December 2012 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate - chock the front wheels, put it in second and foot on brake lift the clutch. If she doesn't stall, or no noticeable drop in revs, you need to replace your clutch. If not - need to adjust it.

Jas
    Last edited by lorrieandjas; 17th December 2012 at 11:31 PM.

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

2013 Travelling Wilbury's Cape York Trip - bring it on!

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just swapped my dual mass for a single mass. Noticed a bit of difference in vibration at low revs but it is prob just because i had gotten lazy with my gear changes. Should have been changing down anyway.. Love it now. I have heard some bad experiences with conversions but the price difference for me was the kicker. Single mass was cheaper to convert to and then cheaper in the future to replace. Seemed like a no brainer. My wife even prefers it. (I was worried she wouldn't. Was a bit of a cross the fingers moment getting it fitted) I got mine from http://www.npcperformance.com.au/. Excellent team there and they seemed to know what they were talking about. (Lots of good reviews as i started mentioning their name about between work and friends)
    Scotty B | Take it Off Road or Take it Back
    3.0L GUIV 2005 - TIG Welded Intercooler, NADS, Redarc Dual Battery, Additional rear power socket, 2" Lift (Ironman constant load foam cell), Electronic Trailer Brake Controller, Steel Bullbar, 12,000lb Winch, UHF

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, All this clutch talk has me wondering. My 02 GU ii has just on 178 k on the clock and still original clutch works fine. What sort of milage you guys getting from a clutch before replacing?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced mine at 250k

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My GQ packed it in at 299k

DIAL-A-TAP

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorrieandjas View Post
    Hi mate - chock the front wheels, put it in second and foot on brake lift the clutch. If she stalls, or no noticeable drop in revs, you need to replace your clutch. If not - need to adjust it.

Jas
    If she doesn't stall you mean...
    Plus you can't adjust the clutch, its all hydraulic so there is nothing to adjust...Bleed the hydraulic system is the only thing you can do outside the bell housing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stock patrol View Post
    Hi all, All this clutch talk has me wondering. My 02 GU ii has just on 178 k on the clock and still original clutch works fine. What sort of milage you guys getting from a clutch before replacing?
    160K for mine but i didn't get the car until almost 80k so don't k now what happened before that.
    Scotty B | Take it Off Road or Take it Back
    3.0L GUIV 2005 - TIG Welded Intercooler, NADS, Redarc Dual Battery, Additional rear power socket, 2" Lift (Ironman constant load foam cell), Electronic Trailer Brake Controller, Steel Bullbar, 12,000lb Winch, UHF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast