Thread: car shakes at 90ish KMPH

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a mate at a tyre centre and I get him to balance my wheels on a semi regular basis and there is always at least one that has throne a weight and is out of balance.... never mind all the other problems that come with 4wding??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ckh
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    Mine's going to the mechanics soon, to finish off a few things - including that wobble.

I'm lost as to why my truck, with skinny tyres, does it too. I even swapped my 2 brand new, balanced spares and put them on the front.

All things aside, I really, honestly believe, with all my heart, that it the wobble is partly due to the condition of the road. I live in the wheatbelt where b doubles and road trains are a part of daily life.
    The heat our here melts the bitumen, too. I'm reasonably confident to say that my skinny tyres get caught in the 'invisible' truck ruts on the bitumen.

99% of the wobbles happen when I'm braking.

Mine's not the only vehicle that way that has gone to the mechanic for the wobbles.

Rossco
    If 99% of your wobbles happen when braking could it be a warped or stuffed disc rotor?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ckh For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (15th December 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got my GQ it was on 31's and had a fairly nasty woble at 80 - 90km, had the wheels rebalanced and the problem went away. Then I went to 33's and it came back after a while so got the wheels rebalanced and the problem was solved.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckh View Post
    If 99% of your wobbles happen when braking could it be a warped or stuffed disc rotor?
    I'll tell the mechanic, although, he should already know this, if it is the case. I've had it serviced a couple of times and no mechanic has picked it up, yet.

I guess my question to them is.....Do they do road tests at 50k's or 90k's, or do they road test it at all, given the pressure they're under.

The wobble doesn't always happen , in fact reasonably rare, but when it does, it concerns me (to say the least).

I'm still of the firm belief that a lot of my problems is the actual road itself. But we'll see.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it on the back burner.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My GQ also vibrates between 80 and 90 kph and that is on the freeway. If I make sure I have even tyre pressures and up to spec then the intensity of the vibration lessens but doesn't go away. Also, making sure each tyre is balanced helps. I never used to get front end vibration whilst I had narrow tyres but ever since I went to a wider tyre the problem appeared.
    Max

GQ II ST Wagon 1996

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    silly question but are do have slight turn pressure on the steering wheel to hold the car on a straight line or slight bend because it could be movement through your steering box if it is.. mine has the same wobble and tries to pitch me off the road under heavy breaking but i know that my bushes are worn and needs a wheel bearing repackand probably a new brake system(its done 300k on original discs and master cylinder).
    that another thing it could be wheel bearing slackness but i am just guessing at that.

ckh
    Shakes are gone now after swapping wheels around, they were balanced but must be out of round as if I pushed it to 110 the shakes disappeared, after all the work I done to her in the past few weeks wanted to show my mate who last time he was in her said she was a gutless piece of shit, "he has just bought a FJ Cruiser" took it out on nice long stretch of highway and at 100 stomped the pedal to the metal, and man did she pull, pulled hard to 110 then 120 then 130 then 140 then at about 145 got bad shakes but she was still wanting to pull beyond that, so that was a once off to shut my mate up, fuel consumption today probably will ruin my recordings this week, have been averaging 17l/100 K's with the air con on nearly all the time....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's an inherent Patrol thing. If they want to do it they do and if they don't then they don't. The harmonic causing the shakes seems to be approx 85 KPH and then when a vehicle starts it usually get progressively worse over time.

What I mean by that is the Patrol geometry is such that the any one of many issues will cause exactly the same symptoms. Wheel balance, Steering damper, Panhard bushes, Drag link, dodgy tyre, Steering box IE pretty much anything that isn't quite right on the front end will cause it.

Thats why some people find going from 31 to 33 tyres stopped it while others see no difference, others again (esp older trucks) will find it to be panhard bushes. Sometimes a lift will stop it and at other times that will start the shakes. Some people will swear by a RTC steering damper then others will fit one and it will be the same or worse on their vehicle. Fitting GU steering boxes was an in vogue fix for a while but like the rest worked for some not for others

There is always a reason (or component if you like) but it is just not the same component that fixes one and all. Until you find what it is on a particular vehicle it can drive you nuts trying to sort it.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    Like alot of others my GQ wagon has the shakes, was driving along one day and it was like somebody just flicked a switch, and bingo it started shaking. My GQ has 2" lift, 33" mud tires, so far I have put new adjustable draglink and new adjustable tie rod bar, new 2deg caster correction bushes in front radias arms and the rear radius bushes, have done new wheel bearings and had swivel hub bearings all romoved, repacked and set-up, new front disc rotors and pads. Havent checked front panhard bushes yet, but I only replaced them about 2-2.5 years ago. also yet to check and adjust steering box.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look who just come out of the woodworks, good luck with finding why your trol now has the dreaded death wobbble
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

WHITEGQ (18th December 2012)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast