Thread: 60 litre tropical rated camper fridges

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 litre tropical rated camper fridges

The web has many threads , most of which throw more heat than light, on the subject of small camper fridges. There are success and failure stories for both 3 way absorbtion fidges and compressor fridges. I would like to track down a 3 way TROPICAL rated fridge no more than 500mm wide. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Muletopia

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try looking at trailblaza great fidge but you may need a smaller one as they have 3" foam insulation around them, mine is about 25 yrs old and still good although it is very big.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muletopia View Post
    The web has many threads , most of which throw more heat than light, on the subject of small camper fridges. There are success and failure stories for both 3 way absorbtion fidges and compressor fridges. I would like to track down a 3 way TROPICAL rated fridge no more than 500mm wide. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Muletopia
    You could have a look at the Dometic fridge in 60L :http://www.dometic.com/enau/Asia-Pac...ctdataid=68387

Under 500mm wide. You will need to purchase their tropical fan kit as the fridge itself is not tropical. We have a bigger version and are more then happy with it. Works great on gas & 240v. 12V is more for travelling and will not cool food/beers down but will keep cold while travelling. Gas is most efficient.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    X 2 with Stropp Trailblazer and Nation Luna would be 2 best 12V jobs on market 3" insulation ,Great fridges , that the prices will reflect.
    Nothing wrong with Engel or Waceo but not many work in high humidity, I'd be ringing ARB Darwin or similar to find out what works and what don't
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Robo (20th August 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    You could have a look at the Dometic fridge in 60L :http://www.dometic.com/enau/Asia-Pac...ctdataid=68387

Under 500mm wide. You will need to purchase their tropical fan kit as the fridge itself is not tropical. We have a bigger version and are more then happy with it. Works great on gas & 240v. 12V is more for travelling and will not cool food/beers down but will keep cold while travelling. Gas is most efficient.
    Thanks Nisshead,
    I was unaware of the "tropical fan kit" for these fridges,how much extra space do they take?
    I guess that they push air up the back of the fridge so that correct installation with baffles and side insulation and sealing is required. Words of advice would be appreciated.
    Muletopia

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Stropp,
    I had a look at Trailblaza fridges, as they are compressor fridges and are fairly wide I will look a little harder for a 3 way job
    Cheers
    Muletopia

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muletopia View Post
    Thanks Nisshead,
    I was unaware of the "tropical fan kit" for these fridges,how much extra space do they take?
    I guess that they push air up the back of the fridge so that correct installation with baffles and side insulation and sealing is required. Words of advice would be appreciated.
    Muletopia
    I think the kit is just a fan, thermistor or a pyro. The fan kicks in when the temp on the condenser gets to a certain temp. From memory I think the fan draws the hot air out. I didn't install it as Jayco installed it in the factory, but I know it was a separate kit to turn it into a tropical rating. I will see if I still have the install instructions in the caravan.

I only remember it kicking in once beginning of this year on a trip when it was around 36 deg.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Look at fan first. I've updated my 94 Engel to their turbo spec model with fan up grade from Jaycar, Just back from a very humid weekend on the Murray with no issuses at all.
    Long time ago but its only like a computer fan, find the specs and match it might save a whole heap of $$$$ you never know.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Robo (20th August 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    I think the kit is just a fan, thermistor or a pyro. The fan kicks in when the temp on the condenser gets to a certain temp. From memory I think the fan draws the hot air out. I didn't install it as Jayco installed it in the factory, but I know it was a separate kit to turn it into a tropical rating. I will see if I still have the install instructions in the caravan.

I only remember it kicking in once beginning of this year on a trip when it was around 36 deg.
    Good on you Nisshead,
    That is sounding promising, if you can find the install instructions that would be great.
    Cheers
    Muletopia

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My fan cools down compressor/condensor,,once covers are off there is nothing to look at. easy to replace the fan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast