Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel Hubs question

Hi Guys,

Some days ago I started to think about a simple thing about hubs that I'm sure someone here will be able to clarify...

My GU 98, have the typical front hubs with two switch options: AUTO and LOCK. By default I´m always running with AUTO.

Since I understood, when AUTO is selected on HUBS, as soon as you engage 4H the hubs automatically attach the wheels to the shafts assuring total traction to the vehicle. When switching back to 2H, then the wheels are detached from the shafts and they become free again.

My question comes then about LOCK position. What this position does? What is intended for?

Thanks in advance,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate - it locks the hubs in permanently without waiting for roll to engage. Also means you can switch from 2H to 4H at 80km/hr rather than 45km/hr.

Jas

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

2013 Travelling Wilbury's Cape York Trip - bring it on!

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jas,

thanks for your reply!!!

So, from what you said I presume that when LOCK is switched, all mechanisms related to the front transmission are passively working even when we are just using 2H (and eventually they wear without too much sense).

In addition, and just from my point of view (although maybe I'm missing something important), since this car does not have a central diff, make it run 4WD over 80km/h could be dangerous since there is no traction balancing between rear and front axle. At this point my question is, makes sense that the only benefit of LOCK is to make possible to switch from 2H to 4H at speeds over 80km/h?

Thanks in advance,