Thread: Solar charging

Thanks
    Thanked 3,767 Times in 2,032 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for the knowledgeable.

I'm using a double Anderson from the aux battery to 1. Power the fridge in the back and 2. Adding a folding solar panel when needed. Is there any issues in doing this.

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I have understood correctly - you currently have aux under the bonnet connected to the crank batt via VSR or dc to dc charger? Cable to Anderson plug to power the fridge.

And you just want to use another anderson to connect the portable solar panel direct to the aux battery when you pull up at camp.?

If so I don't see a problem.

Main consideration is that you have sufficiently heavy cable to minimise voltage drop from aux battery to fridge. (Most fridge problems are caused by cable being too thin). More important with the solar than with alternator charging. With fridge running measure voltage across terminals of aux battery. Then measure voltage at fridge. If Voltage at fridge is say, more than 3% less at the fridge then the cabling between them needs upgrading. eg. 12.8v at battery & 12.45 at fridge with the fridge running is as marginal as you would want to go.

Just another thing - most folding panels come with a regulator attached to the rear of a panel. Not ideal. Better close to the battery. It makes a difference. And usually the cables supplied with panels is too light. Address these two issues & you will get more out of your panel into the battery, rather than lost in the cable.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 13th February 2022 at 10:08 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

jay see (14th February 2022), MB (13th February 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,767 Times in 2,032 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my aux battery behind the rear seat and a double Anderson coming off that. I'm using a redarc sbi12d (dual sensing isolator). I have recently mounted a fixed 110w panel which has a mppt regulator mounted to the board, close to the battery. If I plug in my folding panel for an extended stay I should be good??

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jay see; 14th February 2022 at 02:00 AM.
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might not be a good idea to use two different solar regulators. Better to have a single regulator on the board close to the battery. If the one you have there at psent doesn't have enough current capacity to use with both solar panels I think you should upgrade it.

It won't do any harm to try with two regulators but I have heard stories of folk doing this & wondering why the additional panel is not making any difference, only to discover that one was reading the output of the other & 'thought' the battery was charged. I haven't tried it myself & results may vary with different regulators, but as a general rule I'd say 2 'competing' regs is not the way to go.

If down the track you need to do any fault finding, a single reg will make that easier than with two.

A Redarc SBi12D is a VSR (Voltage Sensing relay). Basically a means of ensuring you don't accidentally flatten your crank battery when running your fridge when not driving. the D version also allows the solar power to charge the crank battery when the aux battery is fully, (or close to fully) charged. You may already know that, but I've added it because some mistakenly think that a VSR is a charger.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

jay see (14th February 2022)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112