Thread: RB30 to TB42 questions

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RB30 to TB42 questions

Hey guys,

I finally got the Patrol back at my house so the work can begin. I bought it with no motor in the car and a TB42 engine n box with it. It was originally a RB30 but has since had a chev in it also.

Looks like 90% of the wiring has been left alone so shouldnt be a problem to sort that out.

Few things I would like to know.

Temp and Oil sensors. Will the TB ones work without any issues on the RB dash?

I hear the 2.8's had slightly lighter duty diffs. Did the RB30's have the same or are they the same as the TB TD motors. Different ratios i know.

Anything else I should be looking out for while doing this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so is anyone going to chime in with ANYTHING AT ALL!!!

Things I have managed to find out myself JUST IF ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW:

The engine mounts are in different positions.

Diffs are all the same just the RB has a 4.3 ratio and the pinion flanges are smaller.

Can anyone answer if I can just swap the flanges on the tail shafts instead of on the pinion?

From the responses I got in the welcome part of this forum thought someone would of chimmed in here by now......

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry mate, I can't help you with this one

Sometimes posts get missed, so just give it a bump every day.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a Rd28 to Td42 conversion which will be very similar to what your going to do.
    The left hand engine mount should line up, The right will miss out by about 30mm. (That's if they haven't been moved for the chev conversion)
    For the gearbox and transfer I ended up using the 2.8 transfer case and used the 2.8 Gbox cross member.
    The diffs are all the same its just the pinion flange is smaller(easily changed to the bigger ones)
    The dash should be fine when wired to the right sensors.
    You wont be able to use the radiator on with the TB(inlet and outlet on the wrong side).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome knew someone here should have some answers.

I have moved engine mounts as originals were gone from the chev motor.

I will have to check the radiator I got but I assume I have a tb one.

with the diff flange. is there anything special I have to do. any special torque the nut needs?
    Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What engine mounts do you have as there are two types (2 bolt and 4 bolt)?
    Don't know about the flanges as I kept the small ones.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nothing special but they can be a pain to get undone. Any sort of manual should have the torque for the nut unless someone on here has it handy. All diffs are the same apart from pinion flanges as its been stated. Tailshaft lengths may be different not sure on this though. The TB radiator should have the top hose on the drivers side and bottom on the passenger side.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to dig up the nissan service manual so will have a read today.

I got the 4 bolt mounts. I've had the motor in all bolted up to find where the mounts sit. Tacked em in place n pulled motor out to weld em properly. Motor will be back in today and bolted up and not coming out again all going well lol.

When I got the car he had already got the engine, gearbox, mounts, diff flanges, radiator etc. So I am hoping I have most of it. Just missing few bits like complete intake system.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well motor is in got most of the parts I news but still need to track down a few bits n bobs.

I have sorted some of the wiring. Have worked out coil wiring was on wrong side with the rb series. So have started to extend that.

I'm just having trouble working out where the "start" power comes from for the resistor on the coil. It seems I have a engine revolution unit. Can't find it and dunno what it is just yet. Might need to muck around a bit too work this one out.

Otherwise it's coming along nicely. Got full 2.5" exhaust of a mate who went to 3" on a td42. Also his old extractors coz he went turbo.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On the TB42s the ballast resistor bypass "start" runs from the ignition switch to the positive side of the coil (refer attached photo) It's is the Red wire that runs from the ignition switch down to the ballast resistor and the positive side of coil.

When cranking it bypass the ballast resistor giving more power to the coil for better starting.

I'm not familiar with the Patrol RB30 so I don't know if it will have the wiring there or not. If it doesn't you can just wire a relay off the start circuit so the relay switches on when the starter motor is spinning and supplies 12 volts to the positive side of the coil.

I don't know where the RB30 picks up its tacho signal from. If it is from a revolution sender it might be easier to pick up a second hand tacho out of a Tb42s.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast