User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Catch Can

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that makes the difference is the length of the tube ( now over double depending on mount) and the size of the fittings used. The material inside (if there is any, none in cheap ones) can make an impact too but minimal. I trust Ray hall. Been in the game longer than I have been alive.
    YOU CANT POLISH A TURD.... BUT YOU CAN ROLL IT IN GLITTER.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive built mine from aksniss instuctions out of pvc and fitted to my 2.8 patrol havnt had any issues with heat only differnce in mine is i used a stainless steel scourer as the filter seems to be catching oil ok
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i built mine out of a fuel water seperator that i had sitting around. modified a few of the holes and put fine steel wool on the upper section (where the rocker cover pipe goes to) and it works a treat. inlet tract is clean as a whistle.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bucky the scourer is that a stainless one or the ordinary steelo type ive heard the ordinary ones tend to break down and fine fibres the get sucked through
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deinately run a stainless " pot scourer" not a "steel wool pad"... steel wool can break down and spit little bits of corrosive, abbrasive sh+t via the PCV line. Bad juju.
    I ran inline air/water seperator (air line fitting) on a petrol engine on our last car , it wasn't big enough to catch all the oil. (ie I got sick of emptying it every two weeks...to small for my application) larger ones may be ok.
    Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just modified a cheap repco empty can type catch can with a few SS scourer pads and a bit of internal tubing so the gasses have to actually pass through the SS scourer. I was a bit worried about air flow restrictions so just gave it a blow in the inlet and there was very little resistance. Might be a bit more using a filter element though.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm. Must admit to some misgivings about even cleaned stainless pads. We go to great expense to make sure everything in the lubrication chain is scrupulously particle free. Oil manufacturers long ago stopped selling oil at service stations in open bottles to prevent dust and other contamination. I feel sure that the SS pad manufacturers would give very low priority to clinging particles or to the possibility of ends of strands breaking off. How sure can we be that the mist that later enters the engine will not become contaminated, even if the SS is washed thoroughly?
    I wasn't sure of that answer and so, given the expense of engine damage, opted for the Provent. I look at the extra cost as insurance.

07 DX CRD Auto Wagon

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gra.gu View Post
    mmmm. Must admit to some misgivings about even cleaned stainless pads. We go to great expense to make sure everything in the lubrication chain is scrupulously particle free. Oil manufacturers long ago stopped selling oil at service stations in open bottles to prevent dust and other contamination. I feel sure that the ss pad manufacturers would give very low priority to clinging particles or to the possibility of ends of strands breaking off. How sure can we be that the mist that later enters the engine will not become contaminated, even if the ss is washed thoroughly?
    I wasn't sure of that answer and so, given the expense of engine damage, opted for the provent. I look at the extra cost as insurance.
    have to agree with that its great to see these young,ns being inventive and trying new things
    but the cost of repairs for your motor out ways $200 for a provent

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can deal with peelin out the dough a pro vent is the way to go I have run one on my new canter truck for 70 000k and it works a treat

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate this is a subject that properly only a maths profesor can explain why.
    but in the end a bad catch can, can and does restrict flow.
    think its not just size that matters but swirl affect inside catch can, these are a tricky things to master.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast