Thread: Oil Catch Can

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oil Catch Can

Hi guys, would it be worth making an oil catch can for my rig? A mate of mine has it on his 2.8td and said I should do a bit of research about it, not really sure what he meant by that.

Has anyone done it here?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,762 Times in 8,580 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Nissan Patrol Reference Document kindly given to us from Aksniss has a full write up about it.

We took that section out and you can download it here. it has pictures, detailed info, the works!
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Robo (18th November 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol awesome, home made catch can. I enjoyed reading that.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could spend $68 on a home made catch can, spend a whole lot of time mucking around putting it together and running around to different shops, or you could spend $69 and buy a premade one from supercheap auto, go to ENZED and upgrade the hose and hose fittings and then you'll be laughing.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the reports I've seen from people who have tried them, the Supercheap catch cans are a waste of money, they don't catch enough of the oil.

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you want a decent product then go something like the Provent 200. Lot more $$$ at around $200 but well worth it in my opinion.
    You will be surprised at what it catches.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    The Nissan Patrol Reference Document kindly given to us from Aksniss has a full write up about it.

We took that section out and you can download it here. it has pictures, detailed info, the works!
    Hey thepig,
    I built one of these catch cans that ab supplied the link for, made a few minor adjustments to it and it seems to work perfectly. I purchased the filter foam from a local foam supplier was $16 for a 300mm x300mm x 1 inch sheet. One thing i would say is that when you remove the restrictor from the hose, rather than cut the hose i pushed it out with a screw driver and salvaged the hose. that way, if you ever need a spare you have on available. If you want any more pics or measurements let me know and i can forward some onto you.

Cheers

Harls

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oil Catch Can

Gday guys,
    digging up and old thread but its best looking result after doing a search.
    We picked up our new (old) TD2.8 last week, and I finally got the time today to install a catch can. The previous owner had already done the EGR as I found out, so pretty happy with that.
    I cleaned the intercooler and associated pipes (didnt remove butterfly, still doing research on that) and havent done a boost/pyro combination yet.
    I went with a Supercrap catch can, which come hollow, and am trying a cartridge oil filter element as attached. I have used steel wool in previous vehicles with "ok" results...so figured I would try this. Filter is a nice snug fit, and I will be interested to check the results in a few weeks.
    I have plumbed the new pipework directly of the block, through the catch can and returning via the PCV.
    I have to shorten the sight tube as pictured, just ran outta time.

Anyone see any possible issues with this set up?

Edit I have secured the pipework away from the aircon pipes with some zippies, tidied it up a bit since the photos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by robbo0001; 22nd November 2011 at 08:43 PM.
    Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was told by Ray of "Ray Hall Turbocharging" that most of these items are a waste of time becuase they are too restrictive of the gas's passing through which leads to high crank case pressures and turbo seals leaking. I still run one on my truck which I built myself out of SS pipe and Steel wool. Works a treat, I have no issues with my turbo as the fittings and pipes used are big enough not to create any restriction. Did retain the original "restrictor" though. Do not vent to atmosphere either. It is illegal but mainly because the intake runner is under vacum which helps to scavenge/ draw the gas from the crank case. By the way mine gets super hot so I would not recomend making one out of PVC pipe. Obviously works but seem scetchy to me.
    YOU CANT POLISH A TURD.... BUT YOU CAN ROLL IT IN GLITTER.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I can't see how a large diametre tube (catch can) can be more restrictive than the orginal rubber hose/pcv/ rubber hose combo.

I was always lled to believe ir was the actuall expansion of the PCV air, in the catch can, that allowed the oil mist to coallesce on the filter element, and then drain to the bottom of the can. The air continues at the same pressure towards the air intake pipework, hopefully minus some oil.

Big "YES" on the heat build up, dedfinately easier to empty these things when the vehicle has cooled down
    Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast