Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercharging ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supercharging ?

Hi guys, I'm settling in to my trol now and think I'm pretty sold on supercharging the old girl
    I've done a few searches but can't really find any in detail "how we did it" type threads.
    Anybody point me in the right direction please.
    Don't worry about costs I can make most things or know a man who can
    The last few times I've been off in the mud the revs never really get high enough to worry a turbo into removing it's slippers lol
    4.2 straight 6just tugs along at 1200 rpm.
    Your thoughts please
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRO-SUPER...e02dc34&_uhb=1

I'm sure you could do something with that sort of design but the turbo should be on a fair boost at those revs have you had a proper tune?
    TD42 turbo GQ - ironman snorkel - 4 inch flexy coils - 6" shocks - 3" straight exhaust - pyro and boost gauges in A pillar- uhf - winch - sunraisers - Bluetooth - spotties - front lokka

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah sorry should have said, I don't have a turbo. It's just a N/A oil burner :/
    That design does look a lot easier to fit than what I'd been looking at like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3008185205...84.m1423.l2649
    Anybody else got any leads ?
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your pretty much only choice is the s/c that diesel-mate said the one that bolts on the side, the one your looking at is designed to sit ontop of the manifold for v8s it wont adapt to your motor.

good luck should be a ripper!
    green 1997 rx 2.8td manual, 2"liftkit with poli air in the rear, bullbar, ipf900 spotties, snorkle, uhf, 145lt longrange tank

soon to include 3" exhaust, custom psi/pyro gauge inbuilt to the dash and plenty natual pinstriping by the bush

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd seen a few of those V8 ones strapped to the side of oil burners on youtube. I just assumed a sort of bolt on plate and port had been made to go onto the plenum end of the S/C
    I'll work something out but would be nice to work on someone else's mistakes lol
    Watch this space

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imo those are more work to muckaround with i prefur the other s/c looks neeter and takes less space.

imm be following this build for sure! i like s/c better than turbos tbh
    green 1997 rx 2.8td manual, 2"liftkit with poli air in the rear, bullbar, ipf900 spotties, snorkle, uhf, 145lt longrange tank

soon to include 3" exhaust, custom psi/pyro gauge inbuilt to the dash and plenty natual pinstriping by the bush

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevogq View Post
    imo those are more work to muckaround with i prefur the other s/c looks neeter and takes less space.
    That's agreed , I like it lots, just a shame about the price :/ I'm searching for that type now. Any idea if that type of s/c is used on any cars/trucks you know ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nah i dont

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate look at this thread http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/vi...?f=43&t=115742 the guy gave up on the project because there was too much modding to do with roots s/c. I think you could easily s/c your td42 by using a setup similar to my first post. You could then position the s/c any where you want and use the original plenum chamber Sewell with a few silicon bends
    TD42 turbo GQ - ironman snorkel - 4 inch flexy coils - 6" shocks - 3" straight exhaust - pyro and boost gauges in A pillar- uhf - winch - sunraisers - Bluetooth - spotties - front lokka

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know you want to do something different but the trend of turbos is there for a reason. The technology available and knowledge with modifications to turbos these days is excellent and boost response is pretty close to comparable with a supercharger. Fuel control will be easier with a turbo and a supercharger needs power to make power.

I have an example. I have just swapped the turbo in my GU TD42 for a larger modified item and although it is a much larger item boost response is on par with the smaller item and it can be pushing 20psi at 2000rpm.

There have been a few done and in the same style you are talking where they make an adaptor plate and bolt them straight to the manifold. Boost response is great and to make the most of it would need to run a smaller pulley to keep the boost climbing as the fuel increases. Like others have said the majority of the work in something like this is fitting it up. You seem handy with the tools so keep us posted as you go. I havent looked at the links but Im assuming they are a centrifugal supercharger. Research will be the key on this one.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast