Thread: Warming up the motor

Thanks
    Thanked 7,435 Times in 3,006 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warming up the motor

Regarding warming up the motor. (Thought it best to start a new thread rather than hijack this one)

I generally drive off as soon as the motor is started, but it''s all downhill from my place, a twisty dirt road, normally driven in 3rd, with little or no throttle, with rev counter showing between 1500 & 2000rpm. So the motor is not under much load, & takes around 8 or 9 Kms to come up to normal operating temperature on the Nissan gauge. At the 9km mark I hit a short uphill section just as the TDi42 is warmed up.

I do have extra coolant in the system by virtue of extending it to heat my on board hot water service, but have the ability to shut this off if needed. I do this in winter to get a slightly quicker warm up. (So I can use the cabin heater ASAP).

I know there are different ideas on how best to warm up a cold motor ..... But does my method sound reasonable, or do you think it would be better to run the motor for a few minutes before taking off still. I want this motor to last a long time.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At a dead cold start up I always let it idle for a couple of minutes just to get the fluids flowing. Then like you just drive it easy to start with. Warm up is when the most wear occurs so the quicker you can get it to operating temperature without putting escessive load on it the better.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I start up wait till all lights go off, check mirrors etc , take it easy until at normal temp. then you take a generator flat stick from the get go. going to read the user manual, someone said something in there. MY thinking if you don't drive like the last lap of Bathurst after a safety car you should be right, bit of common sense required IMO
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I agree with the above. Start up from cold and let idle for a bit. Take it really easy until the needle is halfway then cruise for about five mins then drive normal. I don't really flog her at the best of times however.
    Love is a TD42T

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read idling to warm is not perhaps the best way to warm them up. More wear and tear happens at idle speeds when cold? I am pretty sure its in the manual - so I'll take a look.

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

2013 Travelling Wilbury's Cape York Trip - bring it on!

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 with threedogs, I use common sense. If I was towing or hitting a hill from cold start then I warm up for a few minutes.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorrieandjas View Post
    I've read idling to warm is not perhaps the best way to warm them up. More wear and tear happens at idle speeds when cold? I am pretty sure its in the manual - so I'll take a look.
    Yes most wear occurs from cold to warm up. So the quicker you can get it to operating temp the least amount of wear can occur. However like others have said dont go like a bull at a gate just take it easy until she is at temp then all is well.

The reason you see so man ex taxis pushing 700,000km without touching the motor is cos a lot of them are never turned off and when they are (service/fuel up) it is for short periods and the engine doesnt have time to cool all the way down.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    At a dead cold start up I always let it idle for a couple of minutes just to get the fluids flowing. Then like you just drive it easy to start with. Warm up is when the most wear occurs so the quicker you can get it to operating temperature without putting escessive load on it the better.
    x2 that how I do it
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is actually worst for an engine to be warmed by idleing it. From start up just get going at a normal driving pace and the engine will last for years. It actually states it the manual to NOT warm it up by idleing. I'm a mechanic btw.
    TD42 turbo GQ - ironman snorkel - 4 inch flexy coils - 6" shocks - 3" straight exhaust - pyro and boost gauges in A pillar- uhf - winch - sunraisers - Bluetooth - spotties - front lokka

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel-Mate For This Useful Post:

Jock (26th November 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also heard that it is not good for the motors to sit there idling when cold, I have heard it glazes the bores. Also with the oils now days there isn't much need. As long as you don't drive it like it is stolen it should last.

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast