Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GU TD42i turns over but won't start

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU TD42i turns over but won't start

I have done a search and couldn't find anything useful. So please bare with me.

Had an issue this morning with the GU.

Had driven 15km or so then returned home, parked on a slight incline (nose up) and turned the engine off for a few minutes.

Went to start the engine and it wouldn't fire. Plenty of oomph from the battery, just wouldn't fire.

Called the NRMA, he giggled and wiggled some connectors, cracked an injector. I tried to start it while the injector was cracked and it started. I turned it off to try again. Nothing.

It got loaded onto the tilt tray and taken to my auto electrician because the consensus was that it was something to do with the fuel cut-off.

Any ideas ? ?
    Steve Kylie and the Kids,

2006 GU DX 4.2

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it have an engine imobiliser on it, if so you will have to get it reset, Terranno 11 did same.
    Drive is 04 DX wagon, 165Ks, Dual Batts, 12000kg Warn in steel bar, Snorkel, Xray 220 Hid Spots, Cruise, digital EGT, Draws in back with power box, 40Ltr Waeco for the essentuals

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm, I think so.

The auto electrician said he will put the diagnostic machine on it to see if has thrown a code. If it has he said it will be a job for the dealer to reset. Does that sound right?

Thanks for the lead Choppie

2006 GU DX 4.2

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does your Patrol have NATS? does it have the red flashing light on top of the dash?

When the vehicle doesn't start does that red light stop flashing or does it keep flashing?

Have you tried starting it with your second key?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is No check valve between the back of the fuel pump and the fuel tank and only gravity. You might just be unlucky. Use the hand primer pump and pump until it is pressurized and give it a good kick. Mine does this a bit at the moment and I think I have other problems but you might just need to give it a pump.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine has been doing this since July. I have been doing a fair bit of research about it trying to Not have to rip the pump off. Use the hand pump and see if it will start. I have Never had to crack an injector.

Mine generally takes about 4 turns of the starter motor to fire up, on a bad day that could be 15 turns.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 19th November 2012 at 01:41 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Does your Patrol have NATS? does it have the red flashing light on top of the dash?

When the vehicle doesn't start does that red light stop flashing or does it keep flashing?

Have you tried starting it with your second key?
    Yes, has the flashing light on the dash. The sparking is looking into the flashing sequences it should display.

I will take the spare key in to the sparky tomorrow.

Thanks

2006 GU DX 4.2

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    There is No check valve between the back of the fuel pump and the fuel tank and only gravity. You might just be unlucky. Use the hand primer pump and pump until it is pressurized and give it a good kick. Mine does this a bit at the moment and I think I have other problems but you might just need to give it a pump.
    We had it started and running on flat ground. As the NRMA tech was packing up his gear, I turned it off, waited a few seconds, then went to start it again. Would turn but not start, so I don't think that is the issue. Could be wrong though. We'll know more tomorrow.

Thanks for input though guys

2006 GU DX 4.2

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am very interested to hear how this turns out for you mate! Very interested! I have not considered an electrical fault to be honest! if you find one then please share here!

Cheers

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Yes, has the flashing light on the dash. The sparking is looking into the flashing sequences it should display.

I will take the spare key in to the sparky tomorrow.

Thanks
    Your problem sounds like it's with the NATS , either the key is not being read correctly or the control unit on the back of the IP is not switching the IP solenoid on.

It will be interesting to see what/if any codes are logged.

If it is the IP control unit that is faulty this thread may interested you.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...trol-TD42-2005

Cheers Rodney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast