Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stainless or Safari snorkel??

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George was great to meet you at the meet up like mr said should have stayed for the cook up
    are you serious ?the stainless looks good on the gq,s but there tractors any way,your going to chop that ti then you wont be happy with it,i played around with doing it to my first gu a 4.5 in the end decided not to dont get me wrong i like the stainless pipe
    but imo they dont suit the gu,s

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taslucas, i prefer the solid look to me it looks neat and theres no black on my car to suit the rubber elbows and there is only $10 difference between the two types.

Roofy, likewise mate it was great to meet you too!! I would have stayed longer but i had to take my mates son home but next time i'll stick around longer for sure. As far as chopping the guard its easy to replace and if i went with the safari i would have to paint it so it blends in with the rest if the car, but my main concern was how efficient the two are in respect to flow. My plans with the motor is to change it to a v8 or a diesel if i can find a donor car at the right price but for now i want to enhance the 4.5 till thank wallet is thick enough for the upgrade. With the snorkel i was going to add either a patrol doctor zd30 air box or retro fit a BA pod type air box depending on which flows the most CFM. Also the stainless will blend in with the chrome grille and mirrors and the later the front bar which i will have a crack at fabing up with a mixture of stainless steel and painted mild steel. The cost of what i decide is pretty much shadowed by the performance of the two on the road because on paper everything looks fantastic so thats why i'm asking the question to see how they well they work on and off road.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,128 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm one for solid stainless. A little more fiddly in the construction side. But once on its worth it IMO.
    I've got a design in my mind..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh i suppose the hard part would be getting it back thru the guard after your done welding it all together. I see in your pic you got rid of the arial, did u relocate it or totally delete it??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alitis007 View Post
    taslucas, i prefer the solid look to me it looks neat and theres no black on my car to suit the rubber elbows and there is only $10 difference between the two types.

Roofy, likewise mate it was great to meet you too!! I would have stayed longer but i had to take my mates son home but next time i'll stick around longer for sure. As far as chopping the guard its easy to replace and if i went with the safari i would have to paint it so it blends in with the rest if the car, but my main concern was how efficient the two are in respect to flow. My plans with the motor is to change it to a v8 or a diesel if i can find a donor car at the right price but for now i want to enhance the 4.5 till thank wallet is thick enough for the upgrade. With the snorkel i was going to add either a patrol doctor zd30 air box or retro fit a ba pod type air box depending on which flows the most cfm. Also the stainless will blend in with the chrome grille and mirrors and the later the front bar which i will have a crack at fabing up with a mixture of stainless steel and painted mild steel. The cost of what i decide is pretty much shadowed by the performance of the two on the road because on paper everything looks fantastic so thats why i'm asking the question to see how they well they work on and off road.
    patrol docta will set you back a pretty penny but a good choice imo then you,l have stainless all the way through
    but i like your thinking

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by westy's accessories View Post
    i'm one for solid stainless. A little more fiddly in the construction side. But once on its worth it imo.
    I've got a design in my mind..

kallen westbrook
    owner of
    westy's accessories
    as i said not against them,but looks like a sun viser would top it off nicely

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A panel filter out of a LS powered commodore or any decent size panel filter will run rings around the ZD30 style boxes even the patrol docta ones when it comes to cfm.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    patrol docta will set you back a pretty penny but a good choice imo then you,l have stainless all the way through
    but i like your thinking
    True Roofy but it will give you the best bang for your buck!! As you noticed on sat i like to keep my cars clean and tidy, even my weekend toy looks nothing like other cars that are owned by people around my age group. I try and give them character, i make them stand out to people who have interest in them but try and make them blend in with other cars so i don't get any unwanted attention. I rekon i can pull this off with the GU but apart from looking good HOW WELL DOES THE STAINLES SNORKEL WORK???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    A panel filter out of a LS powered commodore or any decent size panel filter will run rings around the ZD30 style boxes even the patrol docta ones when it comes to cfm.
    What about the Ford BA XR8 / GT sport pod style??

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the box is big enough then yeah it will still out do a ZD30 style box. If you have a look at the ZD30 boxes its actually the space you have left once you put the filter in. You will always notice a dirty circle on your filter this is where most of the air is being drawn through. I dont know the exact science of it but it makes sense. There is a really good write up on another forum about airboxes and their flow, one bloke has done some really good testing on them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast