Thread: Fold up dunnies

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fold up dunnies

Our knees are not what they used to be making squatting more difficult than we'd prefer. Consequently we are looking at buying a folding portable toilet for our future long term travelling. Portapotti types are no good because we don't have the space to store one. Likewise the 'fold out thunderbox' type & bucket type won't easily fit our available space.

This leaves the fold up 'seat on a frame' type, used in conjunction with a hole dug in the ground, or compostable bags where this is not possible. (We already have a pop up shower/dunny tent).

My Internet research has turned up the following options:
    http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Portable-C...html#technical

http://www.abetterwaytogo.com.au/pro...lv.crumb=16939

http://www.biobaganz.com/fully-compo...ucts/biotoilet

The problem with the latter two is that the bag size means probably having to buy the bags from the seat manufacturer, which if used regularly makes for expensive crapping.

Using the first, cheaper type, seat, there are a greater variety of cheaper bags available to fit. Eg.
    http://www.biobaganz.com/fully-compo...mpostable-bags

In our travelling (bus) experience, we mostly either camped where there were toilets available, dug holes & burned paper, or when we had to.... used our porta potti. We expect to do much the same with our camper. The one difference is that we will need an alternative means of carrying our crap with us until it can be properly disposed of. Having bags clearly marked as compostable will be helpful in preventing us being accosted by toilet nazis when dumping them in long drops etc. A bag like AB sells would be useful for holding said compostable bag(s) but with our fold down style spare wheel holders I think the 'wheel bag' would quickly get a hole worn in it's back, so we need to find an alternative.

Ok a couple of questions.......
    Has anyone used one of the first type of toilet seat/frame - are they suitable for regular use? Any other alternatives that others have used?

Wheel bags - anyone know of anywhere a custom bag can be bought which would make allowance for my wheel carrier style? How about it AB?

Regards
    Cuppa
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cuppa; 18th November 2012 at 12:15 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa we have used a jimmys thunderbox folds flat and easy to use.

Dig a deep hole and sit toot over it and put a biodegradeable garbage bag, with the bottom cut open so its a big tube, over the sides on the inside and down the hole.

When packing up let the bag fall into the hole and bury the lot.

My Dad is over 80 and has no troubles using this.

Setting up on sand requires some sticks across the corners as it can sink if the sand is soft.

Great value, really easy and clean to use.

http://2daloo.com/
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Macca.
    Digging a hole isn't always possible or desirable when travelling. Sometimes the ground is too hard, sometimes the camp spot is one where many others use a relatively small area. Thus the need to sometimes 'carry out'. Main reason for not considering the thunderbox style is to keep the weight down ( they are double the weight of the other fold up seat types). Would also prefer not to have to use a bag when just digging a hole.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Use that fold out seat, but you still need to carry your waste out or wait for a suitable spot to bury, sturdy enough, lightweight
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to use a fold out dunny seat at camp for our first camp trip anyway, WD good for the first week, but then a terrible, terrible thing happened to me. The seat had given way whilst I was having a borry, let me just say "I WAS NOT IMPRESSED".

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Cuppa, check this one out mate http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...00-Bush-Toilet
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogman View Post
    That looks the business to do the business! AB is a lucky man.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    We used to use a fold out dunny seat at camp for our first camp trip anyway, WD good for the first week, but then a terrible, terrible thing happened to me. The seat had given way whilst I was having a borry, let me just say "I WAS NOT IMPRESSED".
    Serious question MM ......... How much did you weigh when that terrible thing happened. Maybe it wouldn't happen to us at under 70kg each???

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Use that fold out seat, but you still need to carry your waste out or wait for a suitable spot to bury, sturdy enough, lightweight
    Hi TD,
    Next door neighbor tells me that the disposals shop in town have the cheapies. Have to go into town tomorrow so will have a look & assess their strength. I'm hoping someone might be able to make me a wheel bag with a section cut out of the lower half so that it sits either side of the vertical 'strut' onto which the wheel is bolted.

AB .... Do you make the bags as well as selling them? If so can you make a customised one?

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Serious question MM ......... How much did you weigh when that terrible thing happened. Maybe it wouldn't happen to us at under 70kg each???

Cuppa
    I am only a wee little tracker, only standing 194cm 115kg.

Never argue with an idiot, cos he'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience. Y2K
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast