Thread: Radio advice

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulvdw View Post
    Thanks for that Todd. I am on my mobile so must have selected something I shouldn't have.

The radio is from my cousin. A work mate bought a new vehicle and it already had a radio fitted. Thus him wanting to get rid of the spare he had. Just need a good antenna.
    Everyone will have there own personal choice, I have never had a problem with my GME so when the time comes I would probable go GME again

Here is a link to the GME3800 on GME's website: http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio...-radios/TX3800

Not a bad unit at all
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GME , GME, GME!!!!!!!

I prefer Gme if you could not tell..

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you do get a remote head unit try and install the base unit under the dash instead of under the seat. Heard of too many stories of radios, amps, etc drowning if you happen to get stuck in deep sh.1t...lol

I have a remote head GME and love it but most of the top 3 brands will do the job just fine.

.........on the move

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I have an older GME T3220 I got it cheap and it works a treat (for what I need anyway).
    I'd go the GME at a hundred bucks you can't go wrong. Then go to Aldi and pick up a set of their cheap handhelds for 30 bucks.......
    Laughing like a fat spider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you sort out the antenna issue?
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to get a GME 3800 for $100 brand new. Still need some advise on antenna as i will need to purchase one.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulvdw View Post
    I managed to get a GME 3800 for $100 brand new. Still need some advise on antenna as i will need to purchase one.
    Nice score on the radio... did it come with the CB channels and power programmed already?

Seeing as I don't know where you drive your 4X, where you will mount the antenna (I assume bullbar) and how much off/on road etc I would recommend the following...
    http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index....products_id=56

IMHO the best brands of antenna are ZCG (Scalar) and RFI.
    GME are up there as well but if it came down to similar specs between GME and the other two choices I would take the ZCG or RFI every time.
    The antenna above is an RFI elevated feed with an interchangeable radiating element. IE there is a dinky little rubber whip for the low gain (around town and close in hilly stuff) and a nice steel whip for the higher gain (open highway).
    The mount is a spring base so will handle the odd knock it may get out in the scrub
    The whips take a few seconds at most to swap and the antenna and mount are quite slim and unobtrusive.

The Explorist package is easily the best value and most versatile under $100with great performance from a high end antenna manuf.

The antennae you see that come in the fibreglass radome might be an option depending on what you do. For example I run a small ZCG rubber whip around town and swap between 4, 6 and 9 dB (approx) fibreglass jobbies depending where I am touring but that is expensive and indeed I am considering selling off my hi-gains

Unless you have a specific use for them I would not recommend the high gain co-linears (the big broomstick look alikes). Brilliant at what they do but have a fairly specific application and total PIA around town or in the mountains/hills/heavier bush. I use them but only out on the vast tracts of flat country of central W.A. and outback SA, QLD, or NSW
    Last edited by the evil twin; 1st January 2013 at 03:48 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great advice "evil twin" Much appreciated.

Cheers
    Paul

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the GME interchangable antennas for my last car and they were great whilst standing still, but as soon as you got up to around 60 KM's an hour the spring in it wasn't substantial enough to hold the antenna upright and it used to come back towards the windscreen. It's also wise to consider the additional drag load on a big thick antenna compared to a thin one. It won't make a heck of a lot of difference, but any sort of additional drag will make some small amount of difference.

Personally I'd stick to an RFI elevated feed with a spring under it. Good hard springs, with a light load interchangable antenna on top of them. You can use a unity gain antenna (the small one) for around town and in hilly areas where the signal can bounce around and over hills a bit, and a 4.5 dB antenna (the one with the coil) for flat terrain where the gain compresses the radio wave a little and pushes it out further.

Personally I'd always go for a metal antenna over a rigid fiberglass mould antenna as well as it tends to have more give in it it it strikes a branch along the way. Practicality needs to outweigh performance sometimes. After all who (or how far) are you really trying to get with your CB?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus GME is Aus made from memory.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast