Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Wilbara- Dunes and Sand Bowl

G'day fellas!

After asking locals, and searching both forums and 4x4 earth, it seems there is some fun to be had in Wilbara!

Apparently it's a good area to get around, build up some skills and knowledge, and some options to really push your car to its ability.

I'm stilla beginner, so I'm thinking of heading down there with the exhaust jack, compressor and shovel and get some experience in the sand.

Any advice/knowledge to pass on would be much appreciated, and I will definately be posting pictures/videos as soon as I get back! Should be there sometime this week if all goes well!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take 3 vehicles and some recovery gear..
    Truth is you'll probably get stuck, so be sure you can get a hand out..

Play with tyre pressures.. Line up a big hill with full pressure and see how you go. Then try it at 20psi, then 12psi.. See how much you float.

And enjoy it..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2^^^^. On low tyre pressure try not turn to sharp, keep a close eye on your temps in the sand and make sure you have plenty of water for both drinking and the car. If you get close enough to the water watch the tides especially going into tight spot that you might not be able to get back through or over in hi tide.

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much what they said, but leave the exhaust jack at home, take extra shovels instead.
    When, you get stuck, don't floor it. As soon as you realise try a quick go at reverse and if it doesn't move get out and take a look at the car. See what bits are touching/spinning and then use a bit of sense and dig a path for the car to get out. Much easier than trying to drive out by gassing it and then needing to move 3 tons of sand cos your up to the door sills.
    Last edited by Bulbous; 13th November 2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: cos i hat bad spelling :)
    Steve
    2011 Patrol Safari 4.8 (Fitek)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are the Wilbara Dunes? I tried google and goodle maps without success. Thanks.
    Max

GQ II ST Wagon 1996

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xamrab View Post
    Where are the Wilbara Dunes? I tried google and goodle maps without success. Thanks.
    Beats the hell outa me as well... I can't find it any of my GIS database searches.

I was keeping mum hoping someone else would chime in as to it's whereabouts or the OP's pics would give me a hint... hope he got back OK?

Only place I can think of that is even close to that original description is Wilbinga (as opposed to Wilbara) however Wilbinga is North of Perth so normally gets referred to as "up there"... unless the OP is from Gerro or further up I spose.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xamrab View Post
    Not to drag up an old thread but I am pretty sure you mean Wilbinga mate, up near Two Rocks.
    You can get in the dunes via the Lighthorse track along Waneroo road.
    There is a publication kicking around called 4wd days out of Perth, that tells ya how to get up and about round the Two Rocks and Wilbinga area.