OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are bigger tyres really worth it???

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks guys. Lots of good advice there. Gives me a lot to think about. I'll post some pics when I finally decide

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    285/75 R16 is the perfect tyre for most off road situations, touring or hill climbing. If that is your thing then a 33 or 285 is perfect, if mud is your thing then 35s and up i where its at these days or bring a winch and a good battery and plenty of time and patience.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    33" tyres give a smoother ride than smaller diameter (basically the larger the diameter the smoother the ride), as they tend to roll over bumps rather than be slowed or deflected by them. The extra weight also helps with the ride, although you should have the suspension upgraded because the force of a 33" being deflected up puts a lot more load through the shock and spring.

When you drop pressures for sand or rock they also bag out better, and it's not the sidewall bagging that helps - it's the north-south increase in the amount of tread on the ground that makes the difference.

Downsides are as mentioned greater wear and tear on the vehicle (brakes work harder, suspension bushes etc. work harder), reduced fuel economy, potential speedo error, and changing a tyre becomes that much harder due to the weight (and they are heavy!). You might also consider how your spare will be carried - will a bigger tyre fit? - and whether you can get a replacement tyre or two in places that you might want to travel.

Also, if you have friends that you will definitely be travelling with, it is nice to have some compatibility with wheel/tyre size in case of serious tyre issues, and you might also consider the same aspect with regard to the tyres on the trailers, if any.

Personally I think they are worth the money, in fact I think a modern Mud Terrain is always the way to go - a lot of brands/models of MT are very good on tarmac now - the BFG KM2s are better than many, or even most ATs when it comes to wet tarmac grip. And whenever you go offroad you know you have maximum traction.
    Last edited by Squalo; 7th November 2012 at 10:39 PM.
    1995 GQ TD42 NA

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Squalo For This Useful Post:

threedogs (13th August 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tyres are everything. when i bought my patrol it had 35" all terrains.
    tyres were brand new, but all terrains. i got left behind by a hilux on 33" muddies. since then i have switched to 35" BFG KM2's and havnt gotton stuck. your uncle doesnt know what he is on about saying a 31" muddie will take you anywhere. ill go further in just rear wheel drive on 35's then you will on 31's

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bit harsh as it was an honest question, not every one can or will fit 35" which I believe deem any 4x4 un RW.
    Can you also jump over to the intros and let us know a bit about you and you're 4x4. just something the forum asks of us all.
    BTW a Navara in the right hands on 31"s will be on par with a Patrol on 35"s in the wrong hands IMO
    Last edited by threedogs; 13th August 2013 at 02:34 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Rustyboner81 (13th August 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Bit harsh as it was an honest question, not every one can or will fit 35" which I believe deem any 4x4 un RW.
    Can you also jump over to the intros and let us know a bit about you and you're 4x4. just something the forum asks of us all.
    BTW a Navara in the right hands on 31"s will be on par with a Patrol on 35"s in the wrong hands IMO
    I agree, I have had a d40 on 31 all terrains and got to most places without any trouble. I just chose the right tyre pressures and picked the right lines.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to oddkid82 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (13th August 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oddkid82 View Post
    I agree, I have had a d40 on 31 all terrains and got to most places without any trouble. I just chose the right tyre pressures and picked the right lines.
    Depends where you drive though really. One persons idea of 4wding may not be as hectic as anothers.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Depends where you drive though really. One persons idea of 4wding may not be as hectic as anothers.
    That's true, I agree that bigger tyres give you a better chance of not getting bogged and taking harder tracks, without diffing out.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I Like big Tyres,
    and i dont know why?
    something i cannot deny,

Go Large! You know you want to!. Is Big Is Good!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (13th August 2013), Drewboyaus (13th August 2013), Evo (18th August 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    X2 first up intro..

And my GQ has been running 31 road tyres for years.. I've followed turbo'd cars with 35's the whole time. You gotta drive to the conditions.. Know your cars limits as you'll go anywhere..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast