Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lowy44,

Here's what I was talking about.

Mark

101_0227.JPG
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These look like the ones you've got. Is the larger port the return and the smaller one the supply?

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Lowy44,

Yeah that's right mate the small one goes to the oil feed on top of the turbo housing and the larger one from the bottom.

Hope this is of help

Mark
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MC97GQ For This Useful Post:

davo94 (22nd November 2012), Lowy44 (9th November 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice work.. Just in the process of starting a t coversion

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I put a turbo on my td42 and went for drilling and welding a pipe into my sump, would not opt for anything else. It's not that hard to remove your sump... The spot where you are thinking of drilling will proberly be a pressurised oil gallery so your going to blow your turbo.
    TD42 turbo GQ - ironman snorkel - 4 inch flexy coils - 6" shocks - 3" straight exhaust - pyro and boost gauges in A pillar- uhf - winch - sunraisers - Bluetooth - spotties - front lokka

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel-Mate View Post
    Yeah I put a turbo on my td42 and went for drilling and welding a pipe into my sump, would not opt for anything else. It's not that hard to remove your sump... The spot where you are thinking of drilling will proberly be a pressurised oil gallery so your going to blow your turbo.
    Hey Diesel-Mate,

Would there be a problem using the take off points for the oil cooled alternator as I mentioned in my original post. If so, I would hate to give someone a bum steer.

What are your thoughts.

Mark

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your only trying to help Well you can use those returns as you mentioned but I wouldn't recommend it as you will have two devices draining from one tube so there is potential for a bottle neck occurance and a blown turbo. There are heaps of people running it like that without problems what so ever but I would prefere a vertical drain straight into the sump. A turbo only needs a mist spray of oil to work properly and a good drain so seals don't leak.
    TD42 turbo GQ - ironman snorkel - 4 inch flexy coils - 6" shocks - 3" straight exhaust - pyro and boost gauges in A pillar- uhf - winch - sunraisers - Bluetooth - spotties - front lokka

Thanks
    Thanked 20,813 Times in 8,594 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your only trying to help Well you can use those returns as you mentioned but I wouldn't recommend it as you will have two devices draining from one tube so there is potential for a bottle neck occurance and a blown turbo. There are heaps of people running it like that without problems what so ever but I would prefere a vertical drain straight into the sump. A turbo only needs a mist spray of oil to work properly and a good drain so seals don't leak.
    x 2 with me.

I got told to run it through the alternator too and a lot of turbo places do it but surely it would back up.

You want the oil to drain out fast and I ended up tapping a hole in the sump as well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate in my original post I made the recommendation based on the fact I don't have the oil cooled alternator. If you dont have the oil cooled alternator would there be a problem using those take off points.

Regards

Mark

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah you could but I would be still going for a sump drain as you want the oil to drain from the turbo as fast as possible. You don't want any build up in the turbo. Also tapping of the alternator drain lug is only possible with a high mount turbo setup as a low mount turbo will have to force the oil up hill to the drain. Go for a sump drain as you won't have to worry about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast