Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drilling Turbo oil lines on a TD42 N/A motor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drilling Turbo oil lines on a TD42 N/A motor

In regards to fitting a turbo to a TD42 N/A motor, Has anyone thought about or done it, drilling the block for the turbo oil lines? Every thread I have read, all mention installing fittings to the sump. Is there any reason why you couldnt drill and tap a hole in the block where the turbo lines are fitted on the TD42T version motors? I am currently in the process of stripping a recently acquired N/A42 for inspection, and although I havnt got the sump of yet, I really cant see any reason why this could not be done.

Thoughts peoples?????

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you mean the return line? or the supply line mate? The return line normally goes back to the sump because the oil is Hot when its been used through the turbo and goes back to the pool to be cooled. The supply should be taken out of the side of the block from an existing bung.

Also obviously most are fitting the turbo to the running engine in-situ and dont have the luxury of a stripped down block. There should be a heap of available openings into the oil supply galleries down the side of the motor to take the supply from mate.?
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 7th November 2012 at 07:43 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have thought about this myself. I wouldnt advise it. Being that it wasnt cast in the block to start with then drilling and tapping the block for your return could muck with the integrity of the block itself. I have always removed the sump when fitting oil drains to them.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MudrunnerTD, I'm refering to the turbo oil drain line. I'll have a look at the block today to see if there is any casting in which this may be possible. I would have thought that on the TD42T versions, the threaded hole would be where there is a raised section in the casting, and assuming the blocks are casted the same, that thecasting would be there on a N/A42?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking at both my patrols one NA and the other a T the blocks do look slightly different. The T block looks to have more ribs in it as such. Will be interested to see how you go keep us posted.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,818 Times in 8,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The T block had a drain plug but I would be very surprised if your N/A motor had a plug for the drain. Mine didn't and I punched a hole in the sump as mentioned above.

Some people put a T piece on the alternator drain but I'm not too keen on that myself with pressure build up.

Have a look anyway mate and let us know. The plug near the LH front engine mount is oil feed, the plug LHR of the block is water drain, I don't think there is anymore plugs on the LH of the block for N/A.

Take a photo of your block too and post it up...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (7th November 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AB, I'm taking about whether or not the N/A block has a raised section in the casting where the plug would normally go on a T block.

I can post a pic up as soon as I get it, can someone post a pic of the LHS of the T block to compare?

Thanks
    Thanked 20,818 Times in 8,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm 99.999% sure it does mate just no plug of course. I will check mine tonight when I get home.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the castings I was talking about. I reckon the lower casting could be drilled and tapped to suit, and be utilised for the turbo drain.

Last edited by Lowy44; 7th November 2012 at 02:04 PM.

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowy44,

On my TD42, which has an after market turbo fitted, toward the front of the motor on the alternator side are two holes that were used to run oil lines for the turbo.

Mine doesn't have the oil cooled alternator, so you should be able to use them, I will try to get a photo up some time to show what I am talking about. But if you look at the block you should see where I mean.

I hope this helps

Mark
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast