Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weird vibration/knocking

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weird vibration/knocking

hey guys over the last few 4x4 trips i have done i have got a weird vibration/knocking from the front right hand wheel when the hubs have been locked in. i could have them locked in for a few hours and hit a bump hard enough and it will start. the vibrations/knock will then seem to happen when going over bumps etc and seems to only do it while turning right. when back on the tarmac and hubs unlocked it will do it while turning right and accelerating if not accelerating wont do it. if i lock the hubs unlock them again it will stop it is weird it sort of feels like a shock bottoming out but im unsure. now i know its not a cv as a cv would cause this all the time it only seems to be on and off

any ideas. i cant seem to see any issues. my next step is hub if its hub i will do a GU upgrade
    GU DX Cab Chassis TD42t non intercooled, 3 inch lift, genuine steel winch bar, 33" Pro Comp All Terrains , 3"turbo back exhaust, Icom IC 400pro UHF, 12inch LED light bar, 42" light bar
    Future mods: Intercooler, more boost, dual batteries, drop links for sway bar

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know for sure but could be a broken spring
    inside the hub

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check all bushes, joints and rubbers on the steering arm, tie rod, panhard, radius arms, and steering damper mate - then check the front body mounts for cracking

CV is more like a harsh clicking/metal clunking noise (good description hey!! lol) but can cause a juttery feel also, but it doesn't sound like that from what you describe ... Check the shock and spring mounts also.

After that, I'd assume check the hub (easy job) and run a spanner over all other bolts (including the caliber mounts) and if you don't find anything then you may have to start digging deeper and rip out the cv for a look see ...

Generally the passenger side engine mount is the one that'll go, and odd that its only when turning right, but you may as well inspect it also whilst you're at it ... doubt it highly, but to be sure, to be sure as the Irish say ...

Others will have input also I'd reckon - good luck with it mate.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that gets me is that it only does it when hubs are locked when on road it's like hub not unlocking properly so I lock it and undo it and it goes away I can go over speed bumps and it doesn't do it but it's like something is loose I'll chuck it up on hoist and have a look
    GU DX Cab Chassis TD42t non intercooled, 3 inch lift, genuine steel winch bar, 33" Pro Comp All Terrains , 3"turbo back exhaust, Icom IC 400pro UHF, 12inch LED light bar, 42" light bar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking it could be shockie bushes but doesn't explain the vibration

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as it does it on a right hand turn could it be steering box at all fluids are up tho

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvpsi View Post
    Seeing as it does it on a right hand turn could it be steering box at all fluids are up tho
    Doubt it unless its on absolute full lock and you're actually getting kick back through the steering wheel?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'll go enginge mount, just floor it and look at gear stick if it moves 5-6 inches problem solved
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it's not constant so how could it be engine mount

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    I'll go enginge mount, just floor it and look at gear stick if it moves 5-6 inches problem solved
    Yeah, I mentioned mount just for checking, but would be odd to be the drivers side mount though ... but agreed on checking it to be certain.

Luvpsi

turning right would put "inertia" on the engine to the left as it were, and allow the mount to move, but you'd think engine twist would counter the inertia as such (if that makes sense). Not sure on this one, but as said, worth ruling out through the check anyways ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast