Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why you dont Drive When Your Tired!!! Warning, Crash Photo's

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate thanks for posting, its so easy to think that it wont even happen to you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was driving home from Yarrawonga last weekend and thought I was ok to drive at least the first leg. Driving down Yarrawonga Benalla road about 30 mins into the trip home, I woke up with my hand hitting my leg coming off the steering wheel, very very lucky nothing happened and got my mate to drive. Gotta be careful guys, only takes a second for a catastrophe and a life time to pay for it.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

We are located in the Port Stephens region of NSW, sand, water and fun in the sun!
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I predict this will be the most important thread in here!
    fatigue creeps up on you and the hardest thing is being able to identify it before it gets too much.
    I average around 130,000k's a year and still scare myself on the odd occasion, I bless my Patrol's short range being on LPG.
    I know I have to stop every 2.5 to 3 hours to refuel.
    Yeah I've had some close calls, not by choice mind you but as I said above the bitch creeps up on you!
    For me, I get fidgety and start moving my legs around, shifting in the seat! I know when this starts I need to stop!
    Sometimes a short brisk walk is all thats needed, or a short power nap!
    My kids call these "Poppy Pauses" what ever you call them, they can save your life!

Know your limits and respect them, tomorrow can be a bloody long way away,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Cheers

The BigFella
    500,000ks and still counting!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The BigFella For This Useful Post:

big_fletch (30th March 2013), macca (11th November 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this, so glad to read it was not a terrible outcome and your Bro is fine. One hell of a lucky lad.

You have also Kicked my ass, I do push it a bit far sometimes and have had a couple of micro sleeps over the last year.

I know when I need a break but don't pull up cause I'm nearly there. Plain bloody stupid when I see the possible outcome.

I wash my face with water from my drink bottle and I'm good for another 1/2 hour, going to stop now and refresh properly.

Thanks
    Cheers
    Macca

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

big_fletch (30th March 2013), The BigFella (11th November 2012)

We are located in the Port Stephens region of NSW, sand, water and fun in the sun!
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find using cruise control makes my drive a less effortless.
    The times when I have been totally stuffed and pushed on way too far, my speed gained when using the foot throttle, using cruise takes away one area of concentration, lets me focus on driving!
    Cheers

The BigFella
    500,000ks and still counting!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting BigFella,
    Had a 4B without cruise and was allways looking at the speedo, focus short then long back on the road. Did a regular long trip to Vic and my eyes got so tired and sore.
    Fitted a cruise control and what a difference, and didnt look at the speedo and see 140kph!!
    The down side is as this post has shown. Also not to use them in the wet.
    Cheers
    Macca

10. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

The BigFella (11th November 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also find when following something for a long period gets me tired and shutting my eyes also. Especially if I'm following a truck or caravan.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a few close calls as you could say. I quit a job because I was driving from Echuca to Deniliquin every day. Its only about 45mins but is pretty straight. Got to the stage where I couldnt even remember the drive on days. Like I wold just wake up and be there. Scared the crap outta me.

I had a family friend not so lucky. Worst thing to see. He had a car load and his gf got major injuries but others were ok. I think I was about 6 or 7 hours and didnt know what was going on for hours as everyone was just crying.

Also had another similar thing with a good friends bro in the last few months. He was driving back to melb and not 100% sure but looks like he fell asleep. Didnt make it either. No passengers with him.

Is good to hear someone was lucky enough to stay with us. VERY lucky guy.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not gonna lie.. I've driven tired many times and on a few occasions, caught myself almost dropping off to sleep. One incident on a drive to QLD in my old VS Statesman, I reckon I dozed for a good 5 seconds. Hard to tell, it's just a guess. But when I opened my eyes and realised I don't remember the last few seconds.. it's a damn eye opener! Pun intended. Did I pull over? No. Silly silly boy. It wasn't through me being physically tired it was more that my brain and eyes just got bored of the long straight road that went on and on. That's the most dangerous bit of driving I reckon.. the long straight roads that don't change much.

Glad your bro walked away from this Fletch.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:

big_fletch (30th March 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast