Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What to keep my eye on? Preventative Maintenance

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thnx for all the info, i am the same new to 4x4 driving and maintenance on gq patrol. Did take it out for muddy driving and now have oil leak from crank seal. i am attempting to do this myself as i was quoted $4,000.00 to do repairs as i was told the is a groove in shaft. So was wondering if anyone had a few tips for me on putting everything back as repair shop was going to charge me $300 to put it back together, all that was taken off was cover and pulleys and seal. I have bought a crank sleeve and new seal as i was told this would fix problem. thnx for any advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tony
    I am the proud owner of my first 4wd 2002 Gu 3 lt turbo auto DI. I know nothing at all about this only that I love it.
    It runs Penrite oil but not sure of oil filter number ??? Nor am sure of fuel filter Number ???
    This is a great 4wd and I am the second owner, it has 205.000 kms and has had auto fully serviced each year for cost $250 per, the auto is in top nick.
    I intend to change oil very soon so would like to know about diesel oils etc etc, love to hear any tips at all mate

Edwardo

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by libby View Post
    Thnx for all the info, i am the same new to 4x4 driving and maintenance on gq patrol. Did take it out for muddy driving and now have oil leak from crank seal. i am attempting to do this myself as i was quoted $4,000.00 to do repairs as i was told the is a groove in shaft. So was wondering if anyone had a few tips for me on putting everything back as repair shop was going to charge me $300 to put it back together, all that was taken off was cover and pulleys and seal. I have bought a crank sleeve and new seal as i was told this would fix problem. thnx for any advice.
    I did my oil seal last year, my mechanic replaced it for me for a couple of hundred dollars only. I would have done it myself but he installed it when we did the rebuild and wanted to take a closer look at it himself. No big deal, just need a puller to get it off square and something to make sure the new seal goes back in square. Google youtube and you will find several vids of the job on similar models.
    Are you ready for Christmas?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YNOT your status says it all LEGENDARY. In a similar position and just came across this, fantastic stuff and thanks

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thnks for the very exact description of the problemzones

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did just read all 14 pages! Can't wait to get my gq home and start tinkering/ servicing & mods!!!

Love this forum already!

Oh btw, thanks Tony!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thefamilytruck For This Useful Post:

AB (26th August 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a service done a few years back and the mechanic found very small parts of contamination on the magnetic drain plug and blamed it on the weakness in the fifth gear splines and recomended they pull out the gearbox to check it out only to find it was it was a bearing race that was slightley scored and recomeded replacing the bearing and race and apprently they were supposed to come in a set blah blah so almost $5000 later they said "better be safe than sorry" oh and bye the way you have the upgraded spline in the gearbox so that it not a problem .....yeah right.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is amazing, just bought a GQ, gonna go over all of this asap, thanks heaps

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget the salt water corrosion, just being in the proximity of the beach is enough to kick off the rust. keep the chrome shiny fella's.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoannaChen View Post
    Hi dear Tony,
    Thank you so much!
    It helps a lot

-----------------------
    NCH High-precision
    so what Patrol do you drive around Shen Zen City?

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast