The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,311 Times in 6,441 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New Fridge recomendations

So the trusty old 47L ARB fridge wants to intermittently work on 12V. ARB quote just under $600 to repair it. Not gonna happen. So I need to replace it, not going with ARB as they want drug money for the replacement.
    So I need something of the same physical size as I have a MSA drop down fridge slide for it. Its been a long time since even looking at fridges, last time I checked there was ARB, Engel and Waeco. Now theres about 30 other brands.

I'd prefer something similar to the ARB, two compartments,easier to keep drinks in one and food in the other. Any recommendations?

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just bought a bushman fridge. It is the best fridge I've had so far.

https://bushman.com.au/
    Be the person that your dog thinks you are!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coldcomfort For This Useful Post:

mudski (9th May 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try Eastern Homewares in Heathmont.
    (03) 9720 3619
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/rHNhXR37Zk2StfNh7
    When I was there in 2019 buying an Engel transit bag, they had several Engel fridges being repaired. They might offer a more reasonable quote?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

MB (9th May 2023), mudski (9th May 2023)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,729 Times in 2,680 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    (03) 9720 3619
    When I was there in 2019 buying an Engel transit bag, they had several Engel fridges being repaired. They might offer a more reasonable quote?
    I agree with this approach unless you have fallen out of love with the fridge. I took my 60L Engel into a Engel repair agent in 1997, after buying it in 1984. The Fridge cost me circa 2k in 1984, the compressor was dead upon coming back from the Kimberley, $700 for new compressor and coil as a kit, fridge was too good to throw in the bin according to the repair guy, so I did the repairs and its still running as efficiently as 1984. Its the old metal box and fitted unfortunately with the 'inefficient' older style motor and controller, which wasn't upgradable at the time due to the smart controllers were only fitted to the 39L fridges, but are now upgradeable. So 39 years old, pretty hard to walk away from that brand in my mind.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (10th May 2023), Cremulator (9th May 2023), jack (9th May 2023)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    (03) 9720 3619
    I got my very first Engel off these guys some 25-30 years ago I reckon. I'd forgotten about these guys. I'll drop past and have a chat with them on the weekend.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (9th May 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take it to a reputable fridge repair shop. It may only need re gassing and / or a leak fixed. They usually also replace the rx drier when they work on a fridge. My Bushman failed some years ago and I took it in to be re gassed / leak tested and it has been going strong ever since. A new one is a lot of money and it doesn't usually cost much for someone who knows what he is doing to give you an expert opinion.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

mudski (9th May 2023)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I agree with this approach unless you have fallen out of love with the fridge. I took my 60L Engel into a Engel repair agent in 1997, after buying it in 1984. The Fridge cost me circa 2k in 1984, the compressor was dead upon coming back from the Kimberley, $700 for new compressor and coil as a kit, fridge was too good to throw in the bin according to the repair guy, so I did the repairs and its still running as efficiently as 1984. Its the old metal box and fitted unfortunately with the 'inefficient' older style motor and controller, which wasn't upgradable at the time due to the smart controllers were only fitted to the 39L fridges, but are now upgradeable. So 39 years old, pretty hard to walk away from that brand in my mind.
    Yeah I paid $900 for my first Engel 25 odd years ago, sold it for $900 15 years later. Wish I never sold it to be honest.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (9th May 2023)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    I would take it to a reputable fridge repair shop. It may only need re gassing and / or a leak fixed. They usually also replace the rx drier when they work on a fridge. My Bushman failed some years ago and I took it in to be re gassed / leak tested and it has been going strong ever since. A new one is a lot of money and it doesn't usually cost much for someone who knows what he is doing to give you an expert opinion.
    Its got gas, it will work fine for 2-3days on 12v, then all of a sudden, the screen flashes and the temp rises to zero, then it starts up again is good again, then it will rinse and repeat... ARB said its the controller board, old model which they dont have parts for so they need to use two parts to make it work from the newer model ARB fridge. If all fails I'll just buy a second hand fridge, I barely use this one, only when camping, and the Patrol is in need of some expensive repairs too. I'll see if I can find another shop to look at it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. Really the only way to tell if it has "enough" gas is to put gauges on it and look at the Hi and Lo pressures. These fridges only have about 90 grams of gas so a small leak is significant and will cause all sorts of symptoms and problems.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (10th May 2023), mudski (9th May 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 3,122 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to buy imo you still can't go past the trusty old weaco or Engel brands.
    Keep an eye out on market place for a good second hand unit. If you can't part with full price.

Our CF50 weaco is now 15 years old and going strong. You can't beat the old fridges.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

MB (12th May 2023), mudski (10th May 2023), PeeBee (10th May 2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast