User Tag List

Thread: Glow Relay 2: Part Number and Nissan Fast

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glow Relay 2: Part Number and Nissan Fast

So my 2.8td glow relay 2 is dead. There was a wired sheared off which I soldered back on but it still failed the manual's continuity test (I have been tinkering with the glow system with great success, as I wrote here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ed-Work-Report...). I tested the power at the busbar this morning: there was 9 volts going to the long busbar for about 2 seconds (from relay 1) but after that there was no power going to the short busbar from relay 2.

I was thinking of trying to order a new one - I found a young part seller here and we used google translate to translate his Russian to my English and vice versa. But he wants the part number before he orders anything.

But what is the part number for glow relay 2 (pictured above)? This machine is a 1990 2.8 TD.

I downloaded the fast system but I keep getting run-time errors even after following the instruction thread and adding the file tdbg6.ocx.

If I cannot easily get a new relay or if it turns out to be terribly expensive I think I will try my hand at bypassing it. I have been searching for a good batch of instructions about how to do this and so far this is the clearest explanation I have found:

"Leave the thin green-red and green blue wires alone, and use the thick white wire to go to the supply side of a heavy relay, I'd guess at a 50 amp relay minimum, and the thick white-red should be the output side. So then you need to have an activation wire from the ignition circuit to the relay via your momentary active press button!

'Cos the activation wire won't be doing anything apart from kicking the relay open, it doesn't need a great amount of power, so take an active wire that is on whenever the ignition is on, the supply side of the cigarette lighter or the windscreen wiper motor is often used, but anything that operates whenever the ignition is on will work! That needs to have a wire taken from it to the momentary switch and then complete the circuit. If you ground it out, it'll stop whatever you have taken the power from whilst the switch is operational, or you can bridge it back to the power wire, allowing both to operate simultaneously as long as the wires and fuses on the original circuit can take the load. You should also fuse the positive side of the momentary switch, too!

The wires from the battery and the one to the glow rail just need to be re-routed from entering the control module and into the relay, with them joined thru the relay across the power terminals, and the wires from the activation circuit across the other terminals so that when the switch is on, the relay will allow current to the glow circuit! That switch and your brain (or counting out loud to yourself) will take the place of the control module!! It WILL work, I've used it as a get out of the poo method in the past. Personally, I'd track down another control module, trying wreckers etc and even going for the newie if you had too, but then, this way WILL keep you on the streets in the meantime!

This method allows you to press and hold the momentary switch until the glow plugs have done their thing, and that might take a couple of seconds on a warm day, or even as much as a minute on a cold day! You do need to check the current draw of the glow circuit, 'cos it can be quite high, and the relay you install will need to be able to carry that load for the minute or so that you need it to operate. The momentary switch itself only needs to carry a tiny current, so can be as small as you like, just so long as you fuse the active side so that you don't destroy whatever circuit you take it from."

I found this at http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20168.

Any help about the part number would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MT

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry can't help in regards to bypassing it.

OK, what I may be able to help you with is Nissan Fast and a part number

Firstly can you PM me your VIN number, don't worry I won't forward it on 2 anyone else and I will destroy any record of it when I can find the part number.
    Secondly what country do you reside in?
    Thirdly, Did you download Nissan Fast and read the de-strustions from this forum?
    Fourthly, Can you load nissan fast and tell me exactly what the error says.

Cheers

Toddie
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Sorry can't help in regards to bypassing it.

OK, what I may be able to help you with is Nissan Fast and a part number

Firstly can you PM me your VIN number, don't worry I won't forward it on 2 anyone else and I will destroy any record of it when I can find the part number.
    Secondly what country do you reside in?
    Thirdly, Did you download Nissan Fast and read the de-strustions from this forum?
    Fourthly, Can you load nissan fast and tell me exactly what the error says.

Cheers

Toddie

I sent the VIN number via pm, thanks.
    Currently I am in Kazakhstan.
    I did download Nissan fast; and read the thread about getting it going in WIN7 64 bit - including getting that other file.
    Here is the error that I keep getting:

I used the forum search for that error code but nothing came up. I will uninstall and install again now and see if that helps.

I would really like to get the part number program working if only for the reason that I could use a few more parts - and from this morning's run it looks like a thermostat may be needed!

Thanks.
    Last edited by modustollens; 30th October 2012 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks got you PM, will see if I have the catalogue for you vehicle, the Nissan Fast you downloaded from this forum will not work for your Vin# as the catalogue supplied with the forums Nissan Fast is for Australian vehicles only.

I will look into the error, What version of windows do you use???

Cheers

Toddie
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 30th October 2012 at 08:19 PM.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Thanks got you PM, will see if I have the catalogue for you vehicle, the Nissan Fast you downloaded from this forum will not work for your Vin# as the catalogue supplied with the forums Nissan Fast is for Australian vehicles only.

I will look into the error, What version of windows do you use???

Cheers

Toddie
    I am using windows 7, 64 bit.

I am not sure where this car is from originally; cars are imported here from all over, Germany, middle east, Japan etc.. Some cars are right hand drive; some are left hand. Perhaps there is some secret in the VIN code that gives this history?

I am not even exactly sure which model of patrol this is; all I know is that it's a 1990 and the engine is the 2.8td.

Thanks!

MT
    Last edited by modustollens; 30th October 2012 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might have to give me a day or so, have to load more catalogues as its not on any of the 5 that I normally have loaded, The catalogues are compressed on another hard drive at the moment so may take me a while.

I assume there is no numbers on the glow relay???

Cheers

Toddie
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 30th October 2012 at 09:31 PM.