Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2" Flexy Coils to get more articulation

Good afternoon all members on this great forum....lololol

I might of mentioned this before but I've been looking at getting more wheel travel out of my suspension.
    Currently I have a 2" TJM Gold setup. I'm sort of happy with it but need a bit more flex.

SO! after seeing a mate with a GU7 last weekend with 2" flexy coils and longer shocks which performed really well and looked the part I decided to do a bit of research.

What I want is a vehicle that will perform very well on the road (touring and towing), I also want suspension that will have a lot more travel than standard 2" lift for those more difficult situations.

My thought are:
    Front and Rear Flexy Coils ( which ones??)
    Amada Xtreme or Tough Dog Adjustable Shocks( thoughts???)
    Brake hose for the rear
    Brake bias bracket
    Diff breather hose
    Sway bar extension brackets

Will I need anything else to get a bit more wheel travel. I am NOT after extreme articulation but something that will be good on/off road????

Anyone?

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I should add the guy I went wheeling with is a member on here so C'mon Phill jump in more often mate. I won't name him yet but he's a good bloke.

And I won't mention he pulled me out of a bog either....hahahahahahah(at least it wasn't the Land Rover that was with us )
    Last edited by Maxhead; 30th October 2012 at 05:33 PM.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Chris,

Mate i have an Old Man Emu 3" comp spec setup on my GUIV and i Bloody Love it! The advantage of going to a 3" lift is that it allowed me to fit Drop Boxes and i HIGHLY rate this setup! at 2" your in two minds whether your getting away with no caster correction, going a 3" you need it and there is no "Borderline"

I do not run a front sway bar at all and see No Need, and have the factory fitted sway bar on the rear with extensions. Same brake lines, no Panard correction required. I love my setup and just cant fault it at all mate.

I was in another GUIV on the weekend with a 4" lift and No Sway bars front or rear and got car sick in the front seat as did my young fella in the back seat. Terrible.

Not sure if that helps but if your looking to revisit your whole lift then its a thought.

You will get good coin for your current lift if you pull it out too.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on how extreme you go you may need spring retainers and drop out cones.
    Aswell as extending you bump stops so your longer shocks don't bottom out..

Also you may want to fit drop boxes.
    Now I say this and you may think this is weird but hear me and my crazy thoughts out..
    If you fit caster corrections to suit the 2" lift you top bushes and arms are already at an angle and under tension to allow the lift.
    By fitting drop boxes to suit a 3" lift your top bushes are still under a little tension but in the opposite direction. When the arms are at 'zero' you'll suspension will already be in a downward direction allowing the bushes and arms to travel down further.
    Now you ask what about upwards travel. Well you need to limit the upwards travel to protect your shocks, so in theory the arms will only ever travel up the same amount..
    (hope that makes sence..)

Imo I think your making a good move.. 2" springs will keep it low and stable with minimal body roll, while allowing your axils to tracer further..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hey Chris,

Mate i have an Old Man Emu 3" comp spec setup on my GUIV and i Bloody Love it! The advantage of going to a 3" lift is that it allowed me to fit Drop Boxes and i HIGHLY rate this setup! at 2" your in two minds whether your getting away with no caster correction, going a 3" you need it and there is no "Borderline"

I do not run a front sway bar at all and see No Need, and have the factory fitted sway bar on the rear with extensions. Same brake lines, no Panard correction required. I love my setup and just cant fault it at all mate.

I was in another GUIV on the weekend with a 4" lift and No Sway bars front or rear and got car sick in the front seat as did my young fella in the back seat. Terrible.

Not sure if that helps but if your looking to revisit your whole lift then its a thought.

You will get good coin for your current lift if you pull it out too.
    Yeah, thanks Dazz I am open to all suggestions. I can see the advantage of the 3" with drop boxes....nice but trying to stay within the legalities( i think)

I know this is your tourer so how's yours on tar/dirt with your trailer? Any restrictions or limitations of having no front sway bar?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go bigger coils if you're after serious flex, something like MR mentioned or even bigger. Mine sits lower than 3" in natural height stance, but with 5" flexi coils, it is preloaded and as such gives a comfier ride, and massive flex when off road for a car that doesn't look too tall ... Ryan's 3" medium rate springs sits his car higher than mine when sat beside each other ...

Don't forget (referring to QLD legislation here, so if it varies state to state, you'll need to suss it out first) that the legalities on height are ride height based from original - not spring height and flex per say. That is, you can have 50mm of 'ride height' increase but may actually have a 3, 4, or even 5" spring ... load rates will determine how high it actually sits. Because mine is preloaded, it wants to push away and subsequently when off road, it throws itself into wombat holes etc and gives what appears massive flex from a not overly high truck ... I even have an engineering certificate (can't get mod plates for lift up here) for the lift!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    Depending on how extreme you go you may need spring retainers and drop out cones.
    Aswell as extending you bump stops so your longer shocks don't bottom out..

Also you may want to fit drop boxes.
    Now I say this and you may think this is weird but hear me and my crazy thoughts out..
    If you fit caster corrections to suit the 2" lift you top bushes and arms are already at an angle and under tension to allow the lift.
    By fitting drop boxes to suit a 3" lift your top bushes are still under a little tension but in the opposite direction. When the arms are at 'zero' you'll suspension will already be in a downward direction allowing the bushes and arms to travel down further.
    Now you ask what about upwards travel. Well you need to limit the upwards travel to protect your shocks, so in theory the arms will only ever travel up the same amount..
    (hope that makes sence..)

Imo I think your making a good move.. 2" springs will keep it low and stable with minimal body roll, while allowing your axils to tracer further..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories

Yeah, I 'm thinking 2" but as said before I'm open to suggestions.

One thing I don't want to do is compromise the legalities but also want to keep the ride and comfort same

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    maate i drove around for 2 years with the front sway bar still bolted to the radius arms but disconnected from the mounts as i needed longer connector rods when i fitted the drop boxes. I have now unbolted it and will never refit it. Simply Not needed!.

My GUIV is the Bomb mate it is my daily driver and is fantastic on the freeway, on the dirt, on the tracks, towing the camper is effortless.

And Flex? did i hear Flex?

here is a nice little shot for you mate

Sitting fully loaded for a 4 week adventure through the Middle and the camper hooked on. This was just North of Mt Dare.

3" OME, Drop Boxes and 285/75 R16s

Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Maxhead (30th October 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah Dazz, thanks mate. Exactly what I'm looking for.

I want the suspension to do the work instead of tilting the whole vehicle. It doesn't help being a total useless prick when it comes to anything mechanical or suspension
    Last edited by Maxhead; 30th October 2012 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    Go bigger coils if you're after serious flex, something like MR mentioned or even bigger. Mine sits lower than 3" in natural height stance, but with 5" flexi coils, it is preloaded and as such gives a comfier ride, and massive flex when off road for a car that doesn't look too tall ... Ryan's 3" medium rate springs sits his car higher than mine when sat beside each other ...

Don't forget (referring to QLD legislation here, so if it varies state to state, you'll need to suss it out first) that the legalities on height are ride height based from original - not spring height and flex per say. That is, you can have 50mm of 'ride height' increase but may actually have a 3, 4, or even 5" spring ... load rates will determine how high it actually sits. Because mine is preloaded, it wants to push away and subsequently when off road, it throws itself into wombat holes etc and gives what appears massive flex from a not overly high truck ... I even have an engineering certificate (can't get mod plates for lift up here) for the lift!!
    Not after serious flex mate, just more flex staying legal
    I am now realising the possibilities

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast