OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Start Sucess! Thanks NP Forum! Updated Work Report...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cold Start Success! Thanks NP Forum! Updated Work Report...

I have been having trouble getting my 2.8 diesel to start. And now that it is below 0 C here it was almost impossible. Since the end of the summer I have been only able to get it to start by spraying quick start fluid into the air intake. Until today! when it started on the first turn of the key after a full night (about 15 hours from last running) outside at -8 without using any starting fluid! Que dancing banana:

I have only high-school auto-shop under my belt for training plus some tinkering and general maintenance with the old man in the lane-way so my skill and knowledge is quite limited. I have read at least 100 threads on this forum too. And given that I am in Kazakhstan and don't speak Russian or Kazakh I am pretty much on my own. Anyway, I looked at the wiring diagram for the glow plug circuit which I downloaded from here and noticed that one of the wires to the busbar was not connected.

I connected this thinking 'ahh - my problems will be over if I just connect that white wire,' as I reported in this thread: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...orum-is-Useful.

But, alas, I was premature: connecting that white wire did not solve my problem. I researched this forum more. I came across this video: http://www.terraintamer.com/en/4x4-v...ow-plug-change

I decided to follow this procedure to test all the plugs. All the plugs passed the test.

But when removing the busbar and comparing my wiring to what the diagram showed I learned that the red wire was attached to the wrong busbar (as was the white one that I had attached the previous day).

The red wire from glow plug relay 2 in the picture above is attached to the busbar on the right: this is the long busbar that touches every glow plug. But the diagram says that the white wire from glow plug relay 1 goes to the big busbar and the red wire from glow plug relay 2 must go the the short busbar which touches only the rear three plugs. I now have the wires connected according to the wiring schema.

I next tested the relays. Following the instructions in the 2.8td supplement manual I downloaded from here I found that relay number 1 was fine.

Relay number 2 fared not so well. There was no continuity where there should have been and continuity where there should not have been. Further inspection revealed this:

I soldered the broken wire back to the relay.

There was still some continuity problems (between 3 and 5) but I stuck it back in the machine anyway. I will need test it again if I have further problems.

I woke up this morning, watched the glow plug light come on, heard the relays snap, waited, then turned the key and zoom! It started on the first crank without any of the big puffs of smoke or rough running. I just started it again after it sat in the cold for about 3 hours (and I always needed to inject starting fluid after a sit of that length): it did not turn over on the first crank but after one cycle of the key to relgow it roared up into life without stuttering or blowing crazy white smoke.

I need to figure out how to test the current at the busbar to see how much power is actually coming into the rails.

I am still looking for the glow plug control unit; it is not in the place is it usually said to be (in the cab near the kick plate):

I was wondering what this is and thought it might be the control unit; it is mounted in the engine compartment on the passenger side:

I have no idea what this could be.

Anyway, thanks to the info here I have made a lot of progress this week and hopefully I will not need to buy more quick start!

I need to figure out now how to hook up the flood lights mounted to the front bumper, drain the fuel filter of water and inspect the filter in the return fuel line (though I am still unclear about the location of the banjo bolt that the manual speaks of). But that is a problem for another day. At least for the now the short term, but major, problem of cold starting seems to have been mitigated - at least until it drops another 40 degrees (which it will do in about 3 months).

Thanks,

MT
    Last edited by modustollens; 27th October 2012 at 02:04 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modustollens For This Useful Post:

AB (27th October 2012), MudRunnerTD (27th October 2012), wildgu6 (27th October 2012), Yendor (27th October 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thats bloody cold at minus 8 you really need to be getting out of bed? looking at your electrics I'd say you need some type
    of spray to protect it. I use a Lanolin spray called LANOTEC. great for any job really.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done mate, am sure someone will be able to help you with that. dose it ever get cold over there LOL.
    Drive is 04 DX wagon, 165Ks, Dual Batts, 12000kg Warn in steel bar, Snorkel, Xray 220 Hid Spots, Cruise, digital EGT, Draws in back with power box, 40Ltr Waeco for the essentuals

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up and pics buddy, at -8* I reckon I'd have trouble starting too, sure others with similar prob's will find this helpful. Nice work,
    "Tonka Tuff" 08-GU6, 3.0lt crd, 5 Speed, Turbo Diesel, Hpd, Arb, Ome, MT Baja Atz.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good job mate, glad you found help here and thanks for coming back to tell us about it.

Great write up too.

We should move it and re-title it "how to fix cold start on 2.8"
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great job and nice write up.

That control unit looks like the one for the wipers (possible the rear wipers ) it controls the intermittent and auto sweep when washers are used.

Have you checked in the driver side kick panel for the glow plug control unit?.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pleased to say the least with how my tinkering has played out.

No glow control unit in the driver side kick panel (there is a pic of that area in the first post).

I managed to get the voltmeter on the glow busbar and can see power running through the big and small. Power to the big rail is only for about a second though - the details are not so important given that at least for now it is starting up without any problems.

I am having a problem with the starter too (similar to what is reported in this thread: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...p/t-11711.html).

The relay will click but no turn of starter motor. This problem is intermittent. I can turn the key off and on many times and eventually it will turn over. I think there is a short and it seems to happen after driving through the mud and water. I am following the test procedure flow chart given in the manual; I need to take off the leads and clean things up. I think there is a problem with the small wire attached to the tiny spade connector.

I'll probe some more and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Thanks,

MT

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your photo only shows to the right of the pedals. Have you check to the left of the pedals?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - the left side on the driver's side shows nothing:

This machine's wiring is a mess; is it possible that someone has ripped out the control unit or is it necessary for the glow circuit to function at all?

I tested things again this morning. Here is what I found:

From relay number one - going to the big bus bar - about 9 volts is going in for about 2 seconds.

But no power is going into the small busbar from relay two. This is not surprising given the failure of the continuity test given in the manual. I think this relay has given up the ghost.

So I either have to replace it, live with it (for at present the engine is starting) or by pass it with a manual switch if this is possible and I am capable of wiring it.

I am looking into getting a new one. But I am trying to find the part number to give to the guy here who claims he can get that part.

Thanks.

MT

12. The Following User Says Thank You to modustollens For This Useful Post:

lachiek (30th January 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ 2.8 safari glow control unit

Mate thanks for this really useful post. I have the same truck / same issue with relay #2. I'll give your relay solder a go.

Hopefully you've found the glow control unit by now but if not it is on the passenger side footwell firewall. Worse position ever. Anyway hope these pics help. I'll be giving mine a clean with alcohol as part of the glow circuit tune-up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GQ Safari 2.8TD. BFG AT's / Safari Snorkel / Straight thru exhaust / Lots of electrical mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast