Thread: GU Patrol 3 litre longivity

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Patrol 3 litre longivity

As I change over my Patrols every 75 to 100,000km, does anyone know about engine and clutch problems after 150,000km.
    I plan to keep my present 2009 beast. It's not an off roader but a tow vehicle for both a caravan and horse float.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your Patrol a DI or CRD motor?

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, it will be a CRD.

So far, not many problems associated with the CRD’s, although not too many will have covered 150K yet.

Clutch life seems to have more to do with how the car is driven, but having said that adding a chip or gas should help to improve it.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have paid more attention to the year!

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Bill, I wouldn't have too much concern about the '09 model. My understanding is the famous 3L "grenade" problems are not applicable after about 04/05 or thereabouts. I'm not a 3L owner but I believe Nissan changed the sump/oil pickup design around that time.

The 3L has a stench that lingers but I think the problem was overcome some years ago. I haven't heard of a late model 3L exploding.

I'm no expert though, just a "tractor" (4.2L) owner recounting what I've heard somewhere. Do a thorough search on Patrol forums about this issue and I think you'll find this iis not an issue for late model 3L's.
    I personally know of 3 2005 models that have suffered the grenade syndrome and quite a few head problems (cracking) with them as well as a few other issues also. I haven’t heard of any typical ZD30 problems with the 2006 model yet.

There were only minor changes made after Oct 02 and a few others made after Oct 04. Contrary to popular belief, there was never a bigger sump, only a shorter dipstick, which was done around July 2000 to increase oil capacity from around 5.5 to 8.2 litres.

The major change was with the CRD having an EGR cooler, new head design and fuel system, but the bottom end is still much the same.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    I'll bow to your better knowledge Chaz if that's what happened, but what I said is what I've heard elsewhere. Didn't Nissan REDUCE the size of the sump (thereby increasing the amount of oil available for pickup) in the 3L models? Or is that BS?
    Sorry mate, not trying to be pedantic.

I have 3 ZD30 sumps at home, a 2000, a 2001 and a 2002 and they are all identical. Every ZD30 sump that I have looked at has been the same and there have been many right up to the current (2010) model that I worked on last weekend.

I think some where along the line, when it was suggested that the oil capacity was increased, people just assumed that it was done with a larger sump. There was a documented recall when the dipsticks were replaced on early 2000 models. Since then, to my knowledge anyway, there haven’t been any other changes to the oil system other than the bulletin which suggested the use of 10 weight oil over 15 weight oil.

Reducing the sump capacity makes no sense because the main objective is to keep the crank above the oil level while ensuring there’s enough oil to supply the demand over it’s rev range and keep the engine cool. It would seem that the sump already had the capacity but they didn’t use it initially, probably due to cost saving (servicing cost).

Unfortunately there is and will always be misinformation and hearsay floating around, just like the rumour that the ZD30 is a Renault engine.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by Chaz; 15th November 2010 at 08:40 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To all those of you commented, thank you. The engine is coming up to 70k and is still strong. No signs of any clutch problems even though my wife tows a 3 tonne horse float at least once a week. It's serviced every 10k by a reputable dealership. I'm still debating if I'm going to keep it when the lease runs out and get another one, hopefully with the V6 diesel engine.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBill View Post
    As I change over my Patrols every 75 to 100,000km, does anyone know about engine and clutch problems after 150,000km.
    I plan to keep my present 2009 beast. It's not an off roader but a tow vehicle for both a caravan and horse float.
    Engine - no real problems altho there isn't a terrible lot of CRD's getting around with over 150,000 on them yet. Mine is an '07 with 105,000.

Clutch and Dual mass flywheel - Mine is on its third 'set'. Prev owner had it changed at about 40 something and the ones he had fitted let go at 90,000. Nissan said it is because of the extra power from the Chip and Torque trying to get the 33's turning. Not agreeing or disagreeing just sayin'.

Gearbox - 2nd gear synchro has it's moments every now and then when cold otherwise no issues.

Ancillaries - 2nd Alternator, 2nd A/C compressor, 3rd Belt tensioner are all on there now.

Mine does a fair bit of toughish 4WD'ing in hot climate and the first 50,000 saw a LOT of muddy watery goo. I figure that with all the other stuff crapping out if the motor or gearbox was going to it would have done so by now
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so you know, Our 2004 unit has a blown head as discovered today. It hasn't grenaded.. So appears the 3.0lt will always have some problems, no matter what year.
    If I were you I would go for the new (in aussie) old in overseas, V6 motor as they are proven already o/s and are relaible.

Cheers

Rick
    Rick

Life is like a box of chocolates

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luckilly im not the hypochondriac type. So im gonna read this thread and understand all that is said, but believe and trust in my 02 3L DI. Im a firm believer in treating your pride and joy with more than a bit of love an care, and it will give it back.
    Ive had none of the ZD30 woes and couldnt be happier with 1050km per fill up.
    2001 GU series II 3.0 TD.
    2" lift
    Dual Battery System
    ARB Snorkel
    Awesome car!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast