Thread: Known issues with Telstra pods

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    No mate I don't, will see if I can find out any info.
    Thanks Stropp. If it helps ...... Servicing was done at Kittles in Alice Springs. Vehicle ID was 764833 (rego no?).
    At 135000kms in April 2010 the service record says 'Front diff crack'. I'm pretty sure I phoned & spoke to someone at Kittles before I bought the vehicle & got told a new diff had been fitted. Certainly there is no evidence of an crack having been repaired.

Whoever drove it obviously used it pretty hard, there are several occurrences of 'repair steering' in the service history.
    I'm assuming a vehicle is allocated to one person rather than being in a shared pool?

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    Cuppa I have probably been in your pod as I worked for the big T in Darwin and used to go to Alice and help out with the bush jobs, still have a mate in gipsland driving a Telstra pod as he still works for them.
    My service book says most servicing was done in Broome/Kununurra. There's a lot done at Duncan Nissan, too. Which makes me wonder if it was based in Perth and used as a 'country car' when the need arose?
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,489 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Telstra vehicles are allocated to one person but can be used by others as the need arises, so like when I was working out of Darwin and went to Alice to cover one of the guys on holidays I would use their vehicle. Will see if I can contact one of the Alice boys and find out.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All guvvie vehicles are sold as one owner - but don't specify how many drivers!! lolol
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've had a bit of a win.
    I mentioned previously that my pod suffered with creaking sounds whenever I drove on uneven ground. This had existed since I first bought the vehicle & I have been concerned that stress was being placed on the aluminium pod when the chassis rails flex, & that sooner or later I would see the pod start cracking somewhere.

I determined to rubber mount the pod I stead of the solid metal to metal fixing it had.

In doing this I lifted the whole pod by about 10mm (12mm conveyor belt rubber slightly compressed)

I have just returned from a test drive in which I took the vehicle on ground more uneven than I have previously done .......... And not a single creak, YAY, WOOHOO!

Having looked at another podologist's vehicle yesterday I noted his was solidly mounted, & he doesn't get any creaking sounds, so I now think that the issue was that the pod's lower support beam was touching the top of the shock mounts on both sides. Inserting the rubber has created a gap above the shock mounts which had worn a groove a few millimeters deep into the aluminium support beam.

Another issue worth checking for owners of the Rossco variety of ex Telstra pods.
    The under tray toolbox on the passenger side is attached to the pod with 4 bolts through it's top & one near the bottom of the steel mudguard.
    The top 4 bolt into threads just cut into aluminium & I found two of these had stripped & a third was a bit dodgy. My initial efforts to rectify this was to drill out the holes & fit nutserts. When removing the toolbox to raise the pod I found a couple of the nutserts were beginning to pull out (I carry a 3kg gas bottle in the box). When the box is in place there is no access to use nuts/bolts/washers.
    This time I have replaced the box using an additional bracket at the front held by 3 more nutserts, 3 additional bolts through the steel mudguard, & 3 longer bolts through from above the tray, with a length of angle iron both above the tray & inside the box for additional strength. Hopefully this will keep everything in place. There is no doubt that without the additional attachments the box was waiting to fall off on a corrugated road somewhere.

I was surprised that the thing was only bolted into aluminium.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (29th December 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Should never have metal to metal if possible, You may find some used timber to insulate them. Personally I'd be placing some very thick conveyor belt..It not
    rocket cooking, use rubber and cut some spares for later
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi TD,
    Sounds like you are advising me to do what I've just done?

Cupparooni the creak buster.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on ya cuppa glad you solved the problem and looking at another pod must have given you
    some insperation

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    Good on ya cuppa glad you solved the problem and looking at another pod must have given you
    some insperation
    Nah, it was talking to it's owner Roofy!

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppa View Post
    nah, it was talking to it's owner roofy!
    i knew that lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast