OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New National Code for Vehicle mods starts in Queensland 1st November.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New National Code for Vehicle mods starts in Queensland 1st November.

Yes it is finally here in Queensland as of the 1st November.

Details as yet have not been released, but there are changes, most I hope for the better.

Engine Replacements:- was LA1 before, now LA1, LA2, LA3 & LA4 this will cover multi types of engine swaps, but I have been told that anything over a 5.8lt into a full size 4WD will still need written approval from Transport before it can legally be signed off.

Roll Cages:- was LH8 but now there are several Codes to comply with on this one.

I will not know what the changes are until the 1st as nothing has been released.

My Approval Codes have been changed and I can use the new Codes after the 1st November. But still waiting on all the new changes to be released.

If work has been commenced under the old codes/rules can still be used upto the 30th April 2013.

Cheers
    David Metcalfe
    Approved Person 2868

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xtreme 4x4 Sport For This Useful Post:

04OFF (14th October 2012), choppie (15th October 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can't be good looking forward to getting an update once you receive it cheers mate

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be a good thing, we may be able to run 33s legally ?
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    This can't be good looking forward to getting an update once you receive it cheers mate
    You will find it will be better for the general 4wd person.

From what I have seen & talked about with some transport officers in the know, it should make it clearer to everyone.

The best part is we will not be working with rules that have been more then 20 years old.

This is not the end of the world but a start of a new one. I hope.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    It could be a good thing, we may be able to run 33s legally ?

Yes I think that will now be a go. The info I have tyres size was to increase 50mm over standard as per your vehicles tyre placard.

Should know more in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers
    David

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oo if 33s become legal ill be doing my diff ratios fingers x

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    Oo if 33s become legal ill be doing my diff ratios fingers x
    I doubt that they will say 33", but will say 50mm larger then what the vehicle manufacturer states on the tyre placard.

Will let you know as soon as I know what is going to happen.

Cheers
    David

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work David
    Drive is 04 DX wagon, 165Ks, Dual Batts, 12000kg Warn in steel bar, Snorkel, Xray 220 Hid Spots, Cruise, digital EGT, Draws in back with power box, 40Ltr Waeco for the essentuals

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiosity David are you an qualified engineer or just a certifier???

And yes its good that they now won't be working with rules that arn't 20 years old, but this doesn't mean they know what they are talking about and the new rules will be any good.

Yes all mods should be engineered / certified, and it should be a national code, but there is no proof that a 4b with a 10inch lift with all the mods under the sun is no safer then a 10 year old sh!t box that is still legally road worthy.

The new changes are a load of crap and it still only comes down to who is pushing for 4b's to be restricted and that the pedestrian safety committee. Who really should have nothing 2 do with it.

Just my thought on the matter
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Just out of curiosity David are you an qualified engineer or just a certifier???

And yes its good that they now won't be working with rules that arn't 20 years old, but this doesn't mean they know what they are talking about and the new rules will be any good.

Yes all mods should be engineered / certified, and it should be a national code, but there is no proof that a 4b with a 10inch lift with all the mods under the sun is no safer then a 10 year old sh!t box that is still legally road worthy.

The new changes are a load of crap and it still only comes down to who is pushing for 4b's to be restricted and that the pedestrian safety committee. Who really should have nothing 2 do with it.

Just my thought on the matter
    No I am an approved Diesel Fitter, motor mechanic & now am also Certified in Truck, Coach, Trailer Body Building as well as an "Approved Person" under Queensland Transport. (I don't think NSW has them).

I think I would rather be in the old shit box that is road legal than in a 4wd with a 10" lift.

I have seen vehicles come out of all states including Qld with a piece of paper from an engineer saying that they comply and are safe to use on the roads, that should not even be there, let alone used on the roads.

But at least in Queensland, Transport have the final say, not just go by a piece of paper. Here, you can get your vehicle fitted with a "Blue Mod Plate" and drive it down the road, then be pulled over by Transport and upon further inspection have found it Coded incorrectly. Off the road.

I see it all the time, people putting in a 6lt, 6.5 or 6.6 and having an Blue Plate fitted with the LA1 Code done by an Engineer. You ask the question if they had any trouble getting it passed. Answer is no, Engineer was happy with it. Then you ask how long it took to get their Approval letter from Transport. What letter, the Engineer said it was ok, WRONG, in Queensland you must seek Approval first for any engine swaps over 5.8lt (350ci) into a full size 4wd.

I have competed, still run events and have toured around a lot of Australia, but I do not believe that we should be running around on the road with tyres larger then 35" and suspension lift of more then 4" fitted with full hydo steer and coilovers. After all we are talking about road use.

I think the new National Code will be clearer and for us here in Queensland have gained some, where as the other states will be a bit more restricted then what you have been used too.

But we will not know until it has been released.

Cheers
    David
    Last edited by Xtreme 4x4 Sport; 16th October 2012 at 08:30 AM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Xtreme 4x4 Sport For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (16th October 2012), GUtsy ute (16th October 2012), NissanGQ4.2 (17th October 2012), rusty_nail (17th October 2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast