Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing GQ Roof Rust

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixing GQ Roof Rust

Gday, Just thought Id show my latest project on the Patrol.

When I bought it a few years ago there was rust in the roof above the gutter on the drivers side above the rear window.

I ground the paint back and found it was just surface rust with no holes through the metal. So I rust treated it and primed it and that was it, I never painted it, which was a bad move as the rust came back and much worse!

So I ground it back again and found there were a heap of holes in the metal.

So I figured I might as well cut the rust out and fix it properly. So I cut out the rusty areas and found the inner frame of the roof also had surface rust and lots of moisture in there, and the small hole I cut also had a heap of rusty metal flakes behind it.

So I cleaned the inner frame up with a wire wheel on the die grinder, rust treated the areas and coated them in a Kill Rust epoxy paint to prevent more rust from forming.

I then cut out replacement sections from some steel I had, which I had zinc coated on the inside to prevent future rust and welded them in. I also removed the rear side windows, so I could lower the headlining to the back seat, which would allow me to keep an eye on any potential fire risks. I also had an extinguisher handy just incase!

After I cleaned up the metal it only needed a little filler to smoothen everything up and it got a coat of 2K high fill primer.

I have to let the primer cure for 24 hours, So it will get a coat of paint during the week. The job took me about 7 hours in total, and that was just taking my time. A decent mig welder would make it quicker, but ive only got a gasless mig, so there was lots of cleaning up welds involved!

Thanks for looking!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Devious 4x4 For This Useful Post:

bomberNZ (2nd November 2016), Family4x4 (16th September 2014), jasonwoodland (2nd January 2018), NissanGQ4.2 (14th October 2012), oncedisturbed (16th September 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a bloody good effort mate - doing some patchwork to the sons rig and lets just say, not quite as clean in the lines as yours!! lol

Thanks for sharing it!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. Its a pain in the butt of a job to do, but at least its now rust free!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool this is something I need to get onto fairly quick smart

Sent via my tapping thumbs

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Body work....... truelly a gift, truelly a gift.
    is this common to GQs???
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know of a few GQ's with this issue. Thankfully, that is all the rust mine has!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    That's a bloody good effort mate - doing some patchwork to the sons rig and lets just say, not quite as clean in the lines as yours!! lol

Thanks for sharing it!!
    Maybe go back and fix it right. Always room for improvement.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate ask yourself why it rusted there, take a look at my post on the tears in the roof at the end of the gutters. In General chat.
    Looks like you may have had some sort of a problem like mine.
    Do you have a roof rack?
    Nice work BTW.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks real good. youve done a mad job. have you had to repair any small/medium dents before?? i backed into an invisible pole (not really i just obviously didnt see it) at the servo and made a small dent in the back corner of the tray on my ute. do you have any tips on how to fix it up?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great job. I need to do the same to mine and also rust above the windscreen. Really need to get it looked at and know its gonna cost me a few pretty pennies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast