User Tag List

Thread: tb42 machining and pistons

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tb42 machining and pistons

hey guys, I'm just chasing somewhere that i can get my engine machined, honed, and head machined. its a standard tb42 engine, I'm running straight LPG and a turbo, so i would also need to know what pistons to run and if i would need to get them specialty made to support 6-10 psi max. don't want to go too high in boost because the compression level will be to low and loose all torque.

also any other mods that might need doing while i'm at it let me know. the bearings look alright and con-rod is fine.
    and any estimated prices if you have had something like this done before, would be nice.

thx in advance. King_Ady1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what Benny just had done I'd say he's the one to talk to for the machining etc.

Benny??

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go to see paul at redcliff cylinder heads I just got the head done for my diesel, machined new pre combustion chambers new valve guides/stem seals and a tri-step valve grind for $800 nissannewby has a mate that could it cheaper but redcliff cylinder heads are (as far as I am aware happy to be wrong) the only ones who do a tri-step valve grind.

I couldnt tell you what pistons to run but you could probably drop your compression to about 7.5:1 without loosing too much bottom end torque. i think bigrigs is 7.8:1? for all the other mod and unforseen issues you'll come across talk to bigrig.

Cheers
    Benny
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys. I'll have to go see them. Was looking bout 7:1 comp, but wasn't too sure on standard comp. But that will be fine. If the fabrication place can't supply the correct piston's does anyone know somewhere I might be able to find some?? Also should I be looking for a certain piston coating?? Just incase I get the choice.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get your pistons ceramic coated you could also get your head and exhaust manifold coated as well. Standard TB pistons are generally pretty tough and for stronger rods you can run the ones out of a diesel for the extra strength. Most machining shops should be able to calculate how much if any material needs to be removed from your pistons to get your desired compression ratio.

I would also get your rotating assembly balanced as well while you have it apart and I know you said they look ok but big end and main bearings are cheap I would also replace these while its in bits.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers nissannewby. Ye was gonna do bearings anyway. Just a lol worried about the standard piston's for I've been told there not strong enough when pumping Post into them.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2