OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: To Snorkel or not to Snorkel? Advantages / Disadvantages?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Snorkel or not to Snorkel? Advantages / Disadvantages?

Hi All!

I recently purchased a 2002 GU body 4.5 liter petrol Patrol. I had though about accessorizing the car and among other things that had caught my fancy was adding a snorkel. I looked through several brands and was almost ready to have it installed when I realized that this would entail cutting a hole on the side of the bonnet. This would basically make it a more or less permanent accessory that I couldn't just take off like a sound system if I didn't like it. Anyway, I wanted to get your thoughts on the matter whether to go through with it or not. I don't really take the thing out offroading. It's really a city vehicle more than anything else. The snorkel just really make it look more of a badass vehicle than it already is. I guess my main concerns are the fuel consumption and effects to the engine with this modification. Will there be adverse effects? Worse fuel consumption? Shorter engine life or earlier replacement of other engine bits?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Besides having someone cut a 4" hole in your guard , main advantages are offroad only, mainly water crossing, convoy driving
    on dirt roads as it lifts your intake point, had one on last 4x4 still tossing up idea If I really need it on this one, If I do Cape York next year
    than yes I would fit one. Around town dont think much advantage for you, maybe wallet $700 lighter
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very big city vehicle but each to their own most people here love it off road. As for your snorkel it does improve fuel economy as it gets more air in its cooler and cleaner as you aren't drawing in warmer engine bay air and most dust and dirt is down low and as nothing is restricting air intake more air is forced down. Hope this helps
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picks up cleaner, cooler air will improve fuel consumption and power marginally. If you ever go off road even a dirt road it'll have benefits ie not pick up dirty air
    If you aren't ever going to go off road I wouldn't bother

Sent via my tapping thumbs

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If its just going to be a city car and your not going to be taking it off road, through water crossings or dusty tracks....... I wouldn't bother mate

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

threedogs (7th October 2012)