Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Internal Snorkel mod.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nowt wrong with being Welsh, I am one myself........ Love the idea of the air intake up on the roof, following this one with great interest. It's great to see someone who looks past the end of their nose and tries something different. Good on ya bud!!!!

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makeshift

In no way did I mean to be discourteous. Just voicing my thoughts. Everyone to their own. Good luck with modification.

'shakey'

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shakey55 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (23rd June 2016), MudRunnerTD (23rd June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,422 Times in 6,260 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it's a pretty cool mod, I'd have one myself if you didn't have to have the tube run through the interior. Roof vent should look awesome!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Makeshift

In no way did I mean to be discourteous. Just voicing my thoughts. Everyone to their own. Good luck with modification.

'shakey'
    No worries mate , cheers
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part 3

Anyone of a nervous disposition please look away now
    Got home early ish tonight and found a delivery from fleabay
    It's the air scoop I ordered for 12 quid , actually a brakes air duct.
    So time to cut the roof open that's the air intake on the left.
    Masked around the area to cut after checking inside first. There's a roof reinforcer just in front of the marked area, and also one of those wire things that holds up the roof lining. So that's where it's going then

Here you go one hole no going back now By the way, that roof insulation stuff burns really quickly I'm putting some in a box now for the next time I go camping .

Then I filed the edges smooth before fitting the air intake moulding from inside the roof with lashings of Tiger seal then a bunch of screws to hold it in place till the goo cures . Takes about 24 hours in northern hemisphere temperatures

AND THEN IT FLIPPING RAINED
    So the roof scoop bit will follow ,weather permitting, soon. In the meantime I connected the ducting and went for a quick spin and really pleased it's not noisey at all I can still hear the tyres easily lol
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks a bit funny IMO but good to see someone thinking outside the box! Just a couple of questions 1. In the firewall or bulkhead as you called it, where you cut out the hole those 2 smaller holes were was that for a/c or the heater ? 2. Are you going to dress the ducting tube inside the cab? 3. Are you going to cap the snorkel so it doesn't fill up with water/ snow ?Personaly i would have made it out of stainless steel and used mandrel elbows or intercooler hose but each to their own and good on ya bud.
    Oh and will it interfere with the sunroof??
    Last edited by Alitis007; 9th October 2012 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post
    Looks a bit funny IMO but good to see someone thinking outside the box! Just a couple of questions 1. In the firewall or bulkhead as you called it, where you cut out the hole those 2 smaller holes were was that for a/c or the heater ? 2. Are you going to dress the ducting tube inside the cab? 3. Are you going to cap the snorkel so it doesn't fill up with water/ snow ?Personaly i would have made it out of stainless steel and used mandrel elbows or intercooler hose but each to their own and good on ya bud.
    Oh and will it interfere with the sunroof??
    "Firewall" those 2 holes are I guess where A/C pipes would go through, no need for A/C here lol
    Yep when it's all clipped in and finalised it'll be dressed, not sure what with yet, waiting to see what the garage pixies find next
    Stainless would have been the mutz for sure but bloody expensive. That's pretty much why I'm doing it this way really, snorkels for the Trol cost over 200 quid here. Intercooler hose again nice but still pricey. This stuff is pretty smooth to be fair and as I found out tonight it's quiet, no turbulence evident.
    Sunroof works fine, it's a simple lift up jobbie.
    When the roof scoop is on and blended in it'll be stealth snorkel .
    As for rain and snow , well yes it will go in but I've got a water drain gland to fit to the Nissan plastic intake pipe in the engine bay, just at the firewall, as that's the lowest point. It's a standard Nissan rubber thing that lets water out but not air in. Got one off a Nissan Terrano air box.
    "Onwards"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's what the saudis do to keep clean air...

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey makeitfit,

Interesting mod you are doing there, but is it just my warped perspective but in that third photo it looks like two bum cheeks poking through your roof

No doubt more will be revealed(hopefully not more bum cheeks)

Keep the pics coming mate.

Mark
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow i just got my eyes around how you have that scoop. that is mounted "Hanging" inside the car! so your going to put a nice external roof scoop on to it. Look forward to seeing the scoop.

We are looking into the Inside that double scoop.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast