Thread: May there be light

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May there be light

Here's my camping light setup.

I originally bought a LED light strip of eBay for some 15$ to place under the awning. It gets attached to a cable fed through the rear sliding window but also has an illuminated switch on the inside. Connected via anderson plug.

That used only half of the 5 meters so I decided to stick the rest into the boot. I've placed it around the door opening on the inside so that it doesn't blind me but illuminates the cargo area. Again with an illuminated switch.

Then I had some 30cm of LED strip left which now makes for good light in the roof top tent. I simply taped it to the central pole overhead. The cable runs along the pole to where the mattress begins. Again with a switch, this time dangling freely like on normal lamps at home. Power comes from another cable fed through that sliding rear window and through an existing opening in the tent. Connection is done via anderson plug and I added a second one for accessories (I always find out I need to charge my phone when I set the alarm...)

The last light you see is a LED spot light in the kitchen so that I see what I'm cutting. It's from http://www.brightlightautoparts.com/index.html eBay store.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '93 GQ 4.2l diesel: 3" Koni/King lift, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, 165l tanks, snorkel, roof rack, rooftop tent, CB radio, DIY storage, dual battery setup, & 50l Waeco fridge.
    RIP '95 GQ 4.2l petrol/lpg, RIP '89 Pajero

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flo-w For This Useful Post:

Adventurous (21st October 2013), threedogs (6th October 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Awesome awesome awesome, love it mate, now thats thinking, well done.
    Just about to fit red strip to awning as well as white, plenty of off cut hey.
    Noticed you have dark spot under awning, can't see this as prob. was going to put chair there back to Patrol anyway
    Last edited by threedogs; 6th October 2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: great ideas here
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate of mine got a shipload from deal extreme and has decked out his trades van looks like close encounters of the third kind awesome stuff

Sent via my tapping thumbs

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is my prep table, has a wire shelf underneath for pots and pans, all flat packs
    Alloy sheet easy to wipe down, work in progress as only used it once so far.
    Originally a table a mate gave me, couldn't throw it out so cut it down to use at camp
    Chopping board not fixed, great for filleting. LED light is fine but could be better. might have it PIR
    operated not sure yet. There enough room left for a camp cupboard too
    Last edited by threedogs; 6th October 2012 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking good.

I had an idea with those led strips: get a few strips and set them up with a switch and maybe 1-2 metres of lead then and anderson plug (or which ever plug you run) then stick the led to a magnetic backing so that they can be stuck anywhere around the vehicle and run the lead back to your power source. Would be a very versatile setup, good for night time tyre change or repairs, or when a few cars are parked next to each other you could light up the dark spot inbetween. Just a thought.....
    Hello from Under Down Under!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

threedogs (6th October 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great idea again, Is it something like this.
    made this up from off cut,never used it but it looked handy.
    No good at camp as would draw insects too close, but for changing
    a wheel perfect, store away to nothing hey.
    I have heaps of options for camp lighting

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like this idea, how much light does it throw out in the dark. 10-20metres maybe.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't even notice I had a dark spot under the awning (spent most time at the camp fire...). Looks like it even shines on the wheel arches though might look bigger than it is.

Next thing will be making my own diffusor for the light in the tent (all romantic and stuff). I have a cut off of see through plastic hose and thought to just give it a good rub with sand paper, cut it open length wise and wedge it over the tent pole with the LEDs on it.
    '93 GQ 4.2l diesel: 3" Koni/King lift, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, 165l tanks, snorkel, roof rack, rooftop tent, CB radio, DIY storage, dual battery setup, & 50l Waeco fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Forgot to ask is it 300 leds for 5mtrs or the 600 led for 5 Mtrs. everyone told me to put a dimmer on.
    thats why I got 300 red per 5mtrs

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's 300 warm white LEDs. I didn't want cold light but something more relaxed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast