Thread: recovery points

Thanks
    Thanked 4,655 Times in 3,122 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry here is the hook

I know most would think otherwise, but after getting into the rigging I'm very confident in using it.

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah thats what I was thinking, welds are suss, you can re weld them but they will straighten or snap, I've seen it heaps of times.
    Plus the used it heaps of times no probs answer. It will fail and not saying that as I do this for a living.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also confident in the standard front hook, then used it in anger for 9 years with no problems.
    However I would not use the standard rear loop, square hitch with snatch strait off a quality pin or if you feel like spending some $$ one of the rear hitch hook things or the loop replacements like on the first page.

As far as snatch straps go, for standard 4wding I would not go over a standard 8T rated strap, they are designed to stretch for a smooth compliant recovery. Using an over rated strap could compromise this and add further strain to recovery points.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,308 Times in 6,439 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check this thread out I started when I fitted two plates to my GU.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ecovery-plates.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Chris79 and others, every man and his dog has and to a certain extent still use OE shipping and flat tow points for recoveries.
    Its up to you to explain to the insurance Co. why you were snatching when the book says flat tow only. Don't think the Nissan patrol club in Vic
    approves these as "recovery points" I could be wrong. If there are any members out there to confirm this, great. I know other clubs that will not
    allow OE shipping points or any flat tow point to be used as a recovery point. That being the case, are not usually allowed to do driver awareness. This is also how bad habits get passed on, don't care if you buy one of mine
    or one of the many copies. But you should have something that is rated and not just a hook welded to a plate, I for one would be refusing a recovery
    and looking at an alternative way to get out. Obviously you haven't seen the damage one of these or other homemade plates can do.
    I can only say join a club you may find it very interesting. Would also like to know if at all you have done a 4x4 driving course as I'm sure they wouldn't allow them either. The whole idea of this is safety, and better to recover with a rated point than something that could let go anytime.
    this topic has been done to death many times, but if you want to use the OE Nissan Plate great but I wont be there. Don't take that the wrong way.
    Silver has made some very valid points, pardon the pun. To clear things up I've only met one person on this Forum who helped with my NAD set up
    Last edited by threedogs; 8th October 2012 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please don't expect me to help you with your standard front hook.

I'll lend you my Maxtrax and a shovel.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

threedogs (8th October 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your buying so called rated gear I'd also be asking to see the engineers report and testing that proves the claim a swl should be stamped on the product with manufactures id and after 12 months of purchase these products are no longer rated from a legal or insurance view I'd imagine if they're classed as lifting recovery points they need to be tested and tagged every 12 months. Happy to be wrong but just a thought
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mine are rated to tow, others {COPIES} I've seen are rated to lift. I only rate mine to match the braked capacity of your 4x4.
    Don't re call getting my towbar re tested every year.
    Can we move on this is very old news, on a final point if the standard plate is so good why do people buy rated replacements?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are your rated? What testing is carried out on them do you have a patent to stop copies etc in sure they are good gear just wanting to know how you get them rated etc. Your tow bar has a warranty after that it its up to you to check and maintain.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Patent not worth the paper they write it on, Design copyright not worth it either, maybe if I'd spent $100K trying to protect them it would be different. been over 25 products copied.
    As I said been done to death the testing procedure is here somewhere. And total agree with you that its up to me to check to bar. My recovery points are not made to last forever,{wish they did} but like all recovery equipment they need to be inspected as you would winch cables for kinks, straps for fraying, no difference if it looks suss turf it, no questions asked.
    and that is all I have to say on this subject for now, I'm off to hospital.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast