Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GU - Under Seat Air Compressor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under Seat Compressor - Part 2 - External Connectors

Hi all, based on all the above feedback I finally got to revisit this and have a go at "Part 2" which was to put some external connectors.

Things have been really busy the last few months, so I have been pretty quiet with doing anything on the car and even more quiet with coming near the forum. Had a few weeks off over Christmas/New year, so thought I should get a bit done.

Had a big distraction to my plans with the gearbox dropping 5th gear. Some of you probably noticed my posts on that in my members rides section. That is now all fixed and seems to be going well, so the last two days I got back to some of my plans, the first of which is this.

Grabbed a few bits and pieces in preparation:

Starting from where I left off, the seat came out again. I had noticed last time there were a few large grommets nicely in the floor near the compressor:

Couldn't find a T piece as such, but this Y shaped piece was probably easier to work with in the end:

Finally found somewhere to get some real "Air Hose". Not sure if this will handle the heat from the compressor directly. I will try first and see (after all if it fails I can connect my other hose back like I was before).

One of the biggest problems I have here is finding things. There are two issues - the main and first one is that most technical/car stuff is done in Arabic, so without language skills it can be hard. The second is that most things are sold in a "souk", which is a market, mostly of all the same things. So if you can't find the "air hose souk" (or more likely the section of the car parts souk that only sells air fittings, hoses, etc.) it can be hard to make progress. Still seems strange to me that you finally find the area and there might be 5 shops all next to each other selling the same things (generally at the same price - well the same marked up price with "white man tax" for me).

Anyway, I digress, back to where we were, the air hose:

Seemed to need a cable tie to keep it down out of the way of the seat:

The seat back in and the inside is finished:

Next was the outside. I had a long debate with myself over this and got nowhere for an hour or more while trying to decide where I wanted to put the connectors. Still not sure I've made the right choice, but I have done it for now and will see. It was a mixture of convenience of fitting and using. But I hope they will not get kicked and broken and filling with sand will be an issue. I plan to put an empty connector in there as a blank (with the end filled in) to keep the rubbish out.

The step had to come off so that I could get the plastic flare out far enough to get the hose in behind. I also had to jack the car up about 2 inches so there was a enough gap between the tyre flare for my short screwdriver to get the bottom screw out.

The rest pretty much explains itself with the pictures. I repeated on both sides:

End Result (dark by now):

Thanks, Cameron
    No Patrol now - Just good memories!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cameron,

To keep your hose attachments clean, and operating correctly, you can buy something like these rubber feet

rubber_feet[1].gif

which will cover your outlets when not in use.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

cgm (6th January 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they are really cheap...
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect! That's what is great about the forum, lots of ideas from others. That will work well. Thanks.

tapatalk on galaxy note
    Thanks, Cameron

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only problem is now Cameron, you will have to try and find the "rubber feet souk"

Nice work on the compressor install mate, and great idea where you mounted the external connectors.

Mark
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to happygtu ...

A set of 4 (2 to use and 2 for spares) for about $4 AUD. All sorted, one for each side:

Thanks, Cameron

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MC97GQ View Post
    Only problem is now Cameron, you will have to try and find the "rubber feet souk"
    Hi Mark, for this I got lucky and found them on the way home tonight in our loose equivalent of Bunnings, called SACO. No souk tonight.
    Thanks, Cameron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12