OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tubular winch bumper, home build.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking bar mate, hope to build one similar when i get the time. Hopefully a similar design will work around the pto.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    All your strength is centred on the 'winch box' , they are very pricey for what they, Have you thought about M24 eye bolts/nuts. that other one doesn't look like it's designed to be used from all angles, have a good look you'll see what I mean. pic is M24 I used to use in tow hitch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 8th October 2012 at 09:34 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha ha the rain has stopped for ten mins ," quick to the bat cave robin "
    Started to work out the triangulation bit today and rough welded the tube bits to their mounting plates. Thanks for the advice on that

G clamped in place for the mo while I work out the lengths and bends of the support bits.

Going to bolt on this under support to the chassis just below the body mount.

Then on the rear of the tube I'm going to fix to the chassis just in front of the steering box holes. There's a convenient hole that was used by the rubber door mat stuff. I'll open that up a bit for nice big bolts.

Here's a side view so you can see how little it protrudes, trying to keep approach angle as good as poss

So off for some more weldin' and a bendin'
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some more done ;)

Saturday is grinding day I spent many happy hours on Sat grinding down the welds on the winch tray to a smooooooth finish

The winch tray will be bolted to existing holes in the chassis. They were M14 but I've decided to go M16 just to be sure it all stays put. 3 per side
    As the tubular bits are to be bolted on aswell I needed to drill a lot of holes . Never mind I know a man with some proper man tools So I got to borrow this "Magna Drill" (top work Wallace)

With the tray bolted onto the chassis I then marked out the tubular bits on the tray so I could drill that too and got this done

Triangulation next so got some tube to bolt under and behind the bar so making a pretty strong set up I reckon

I've got some more hammering to get everything fitting nicely but you get the drift
    Just waiting for the fairlead to arrive now so I can cut the hole in the front of the tray, then get the whole lot galvanized
    Going to make one for the back now
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found I couldn't get decent fixing for the lower tube strut
    So had a couple of inserts made and then I drilled and tapped them sideways, soI can get a bolt through the chassis tiedown bit just below the front body mount

I'll do a puddle weld in the holes next to stop them twisting or pulling out, that'll fix it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When you've finished with that drill my addressis 55 ,,,,,? LOL
    Where you hammered and bent the smaller pipe, would it have been easier to bolt a plate to chassais
    then weld pipe to plate, just doesn't look right IMO sorry. Also can you buy elbows to weld on the end of the wings.
    might look ok ?? I'll put drawing here later of what I mean, Whats this when it stops raining bit. really its the UK

Just read you are making a rear one, over here you can but a cradle that slips into class2 hitch receiver or towbar
    Last edited by threedogs; 26th October 2012 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh I know what you mean :/ I think I'd gone down one route and couldn't do it the way I 1st thought. Then found a solution in the small hours lol
    "Eyebrows" ??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just another comment , can you move the lot forward so those "wings angle back slightly" , If you hit something {TREE} you're more likely to glance off it
    with some kind of angle instead of straight across the front

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did have them at an angle originally on my mock up, and you're right , it would glance off. I brought them back though because most of the time I find the approach angle more important where I go offroading. That's why I went for a bigger bit of tube behind and bolted to the chassis. It's a pay off

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    great not sure how your 4x4ing was. but you know better than me. should be finished soon eh lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast