Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternator- repair or replace?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps guys. Will haggle some of the local stores to get the best price, and report back how I went! Cheers again =)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced my alternator with 90A from Patrolapart few days before OP. There are not many options around when you require the vaccuum pump on the TD42. A few 70A alternatives, all pricey, with the only higher capacity ones I could locate being from Patrolapart.

Note the Hitachi alternators produce nearly no current at idle. This was a surprise to me and explains the suspected lack of result the few times i've let the engine idle a while to charge the battery!

Two alternatives to the vaccuum pump which I gave up as being too much trouble.
    1. Locate a front/rear timing cover off a GU motor, and the vaccuum pump to go with it (locates under fuel pump)
    2. An electric vaccuum pump designed for boosting/replacing vaccuum in modded cars. (hard to locate, >2004 volvo's have a boost pump, but wreckers want more $ than new from usa (with >1mth shipping)
    The attraction of doing this would be freeing up the vac requirement, and fitting a Bosch alternator instead. I was considering a 160A universal road train type. Bosch units have heavier duty rectifiers according to my local auto elec, and produce around 25% rated output at idle.

I changed belts at same time as suggested earlier. Take the belts with you, and ensure proper matchup, apparently there were a lot of different size combinations, store catalogues often indicate the wrong ones. "Gates" brand belts are supposed to last well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sbd For This Useful Post:

ryanemcburnie (13th October 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id be saying no more than 250 now for a new alt should be a wholesaler somewhere around you there should be someone in your area who can get you trade price

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the patrolapart website the 120ah alternator says for GQ. Is this the same alternator as the GU or are theydiffetent designs?
    Love is a TD42T

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snewin View Post
    On the patrolapart website the 120ah alternator says for GQ. Is this the same alternator as the GU or are theydiffetent designs?
    Different. The GQ model has a vaccuum pump on the back.
    GU (and apparently some of the last of the GQ's) has a separate vac pump, so you can use any other alternator you can get to fit.

Most alternatives will require fiddling with mounting brackets, well worth the trouble tho for a heavier duty alternator, especially if you'd like it to produce a decent current at idle. I liked the look of "12V 160A Bosch Universal BX525085 " for $300 on ebay, but alternate vac source for my GQ was too much hassle. Apparently theres one around 95A that the mounts off a holden(wreckers) suit, but I didn't look into that further.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all who chipped in!

Went the 70aH from Patrolapart, as it's ready to go with vacuum pump. Set me back 280 (inc. postage across states) so not too bad. Getting a mate to help me install, otherwsie I was quoted at $120 to get done by a mechanic. Definately saved a few quid from the original $650 unit/fit i was quoted!

Cheers again =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12